Saturday, December 4, 2021

Star Trek: Discovery Season Two


Creator(s) - Bryan Fuller (American Gods, Mockingbird Lane) and Alex Kurtzman (Sleepy Hollow, The Mummy)
Starring - Sonequa Martin-Green (The Walking Dead, Space Jam: A New Legacy), Doug Jones (Z Nation, Hellboy), and Anson Mount (Inhumans, Hood of Horror)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Sci-Fi/Adventure
Tagline - "Discover the next adventure"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Over Thanksgiving break I took a 5 day vacation and spent that watching season one of Star Trek: Discovery.  I was absolutely hooked on the show and couldn't wait to dig further into it.  Sadly, my vacation came to an end and I had to return to work to manage the store during Black Friday and the subsequent weekend.  I couldn't stop thinking about that first season so this obsession soon took over forcing me to take one of my personal days off from work to dig into the second season.  This show is insanely good and the second season does not disappoint.
     This season once again follows Michael (Martin-Green) who is searching for her foster brother Spock who was investigating a series of signals that coincide with the "Red Angel."  She finds her brother along with who the real Red Angel is along with news that all sentient life will be destroyed by an AI forcing several members of Discovery and Enterprise to make sacrifices.
     Season Two is a bit different than the first season.  While it gives us an epic sci-fi adventure that pulls the viewer in, it also brings us moments from the original series to not only give older fans something but newer fans a link to the older shows.  I really enjoyed it but I can see why older fans would be a little bitter about it.  The acting in this one is absolutely amazing.  Martin-Green, Jones, and the others bring our favorite characters from the first season along with new faces like Anson Mount.  Mount really surprised me here.  He doesn't really look like Pike from the original series but his mannerisms are down perfectly.  With that being said, he will always be the racist piece of shit from Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror to me.  The story for this one takes the characters from the first season and puts them in yet another dangerous mission.  I really liked the direction the show took but I will say it feels goofy at times when it tries to tie itself to the original series.  I liked it in a lot of way but in a few instances it felt extremely awkward.  Finally, the series has some bloody moments, some great practical make-up effects and seriously stunning props and sets.  However, the visual effects in this season really impressed me.  It's impressive how great some of these visuals looks.  Overall, season two of Discovery is just as perfect as the first season.  It's an amazing story with an amazing cast that fits in perfectly with the Star Trek universe.  I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment