Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Cemetery of Terror



Director - Ruben Galindo Jr. (Grave Robbers, Don't Panic)
Starring - Hugo Stiglitz (Lady of Steel, Open Fire), Jose Gomez Parcero (Renegade, Mexico City), and Bety Robles 
Release Date - 1985
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Back in October I got my September Vinegar Syndrome releases in for review.  There was some serious releases among the batch but my favorite of the month was Grave Robbers, aka Ladrones de Tumbas.  This 1989 film from director Ruben Galindo Jr. really surprised me.  Vin Syn followed their September releases up with another Galindo Jr. film in October which was delayed a few weeks.  This time around they were releasing 1985's Cemetery of Terror, aka Cemeterio del Terror.  I couldn't wait to check it out because I knew it was going to be just as fun.
     The film follows a group of twenty-somethings who have rented an old house near a cemetery to party in.  However, they uncover an old book and decide to steal a corpse to use in some fun filled rituals.  What starts out is a little innocent fun and cadaver thievery ends up with a Satanic serial killer becoming resurrected and going on a bloody rampage.  
     I have no idea why I'm just now getting into the works of Galindo Jr. but I'm in fucking love with his movies.  At least the ones I've seen.  Grave Robbers was a fantastic film and Cemetery of Terror was almost as good.  I really enjoy his aesthetic and he really knows how to craft atmosphere.  The acting in in this one is cheesy but pretty solid.  I liked the characters and the cast really got into their roles.  As I stated earlier, the characters are cheesy but it works with the atmosphere with the film.  The story for this one is fun but is a little awkward.  The movie almost feels like two movies sharing the same story.  The first half of the film is the adults summoning the serial killer with the second portion following a group of kids faced with the same killer.  It's almost as if two shorts were put together to make a feature length film.  It's not a bad movie, because I really enjoyed it, it's just a little unusual.  With that being said, the story is a little ridiculous at times.  My favorite ridiculous moment is when the group decides to steal a body and how easy it was for them to find a corpse.  It does have some silly instances but the overall story is great for another Halloween treat.  Finally, the film has several bloody and fun death scenes.  The effects are nothing amazing but they work.  The stand out for me was the sets and atmosphere.  The film really had that haunted house look that worked.  I could really see myself giving this one another spin with Halloween approaching.  Overall, Cemetery of Terror is another fantastic release from Vinegar Syndrome.  This movie looks great and really captures that late night horror flick vibe.  The blu looks amazing as well which begs to be picked up by collectors.  Give it a go because you will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment