Thursday, December 3, 2020

Game of Thrones: Season Four


Creator(s) - David Benioff (Troy, 25th Hour) and D.B. Weiss (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Starring - John Bradley (American Satan, Patient Zero), Maisi Williams (The New Mutants, The Owners), and Sophie Turner (X-Men: Dark Phoenix, X-Men: Apocalypse)
Release Date - 2014
Genre - Fantasy/Action
Tagline - "All men must die"
Format - 4K Ultra HD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I know some of you will read my review for the previous seasons and think that I didn't like them.  I very much enjoyed them but they just wasn't something that I would willing watch.  Those seasons are a little too political for my liking but season three was a departure from this and season four begins the pushing into some more interesting storyline featuring the Night's Watch and the wildlings.  Season three was a great jumping point with season four really diving deep into it.
     With Robb Stark dead and his northern forces crushed, Joffrey is able to find peace and marry.  However, he is poisoned in his wedding day and his brother is crowned king.  Another force that is pushing on the crown for kingship travels to Castle Black where they imprison the wildlings leader after they attacked the wall.  
     Each season has been improving over the last.  Season one was decent and season two improved but season three was really the turning point for me with season four really impressing me.  We are getting deeper and deeper into the Northern storyline which is something that has really interested me with this show.  The acting is exactly as the previous seasons.  Everyone really deserves recognition and all the characters, regardless if you like them or not, are fucking iconic by this point.  The story for this one is a beautiful continuation of the story set forth in the previous installments.  If features some great action sequences, heartbreak, happiness, and unexpected deaths.  It really does work and the entire political aspect is still there but it's not as the spearhead of the show like in previous seasons.  Finally, the series features plenty of blood and a few gory moments.  The effects look good but, much like previous seasons, it's nothing horror fans haven't seen before.  With that being said, the visual effects for the dragons are not the best.  I'm sure during half a decade ago they looked decent but they did not age well.  Overall, Season four is my favorite of the series so far and I can only see it going up from here.  The action sequences and story progression really made me a fan and this season is, without a doubt, the best I've seen yet.  I can't wait to see the next season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment