Tuesday, December 15, 2020

PG: Psycho Goreman




Director - Steven Kostanski (Leprechaun Returns, The Void)
Starring - Matthew Ninaber (Death on Scenic Drive, Disasters at Sea), Nita-Josee Hanna (Books of Blood), and Owen Myre (Born in Darkness, NOS4A2)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi/Comedy
Tagline - "Little girl.  Big Psycho"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Steven Kostanski is one of my favorite filmmakers.  My love for him started with Father's Day and Manborg.  Before long I had ordered the Astron-6 DVD from Troma and began following his career closely along with the rest of the Astron-6 boys.  He has directed some of my favorite movies over the years and my love for his work was solidified when he released The Void.  When I heard that he was working on a horror sci-fi comedy called Psycho Goreman I was hooked already.  I was always on the look out for news on the film but I was shocked when I was sent a review link for this one.  I was not expecting it already but I couldn't pass up the chance to see this one.  I want to thank Wan PR and RLJE for hooking me up!
     The film follows a brother and sister pair who uncover an ancient alien buried in their backyard.  The being is entombed with a powerful amulet that gives him his power while giving the person that holds it control over him.  They use it to their advantage and have some fun but his awakening has alerted a galactic order that has swore an oath to prevent him from destroying the galaxy.  Now they must pick a side.  They can help Psycho Goreman defeat them before continuing his conquest to destroy the galaxy or help the galactic order maintain peace in the galaxy.
     I was expecting a full fledged gorefest that only Kostanski could deliver.  Instead, I was greeted with an adult version of a direct to video kids movie from the early 90s.  It's almost like this movie was made for me and the other late 80s and early 90s kids that grew up on Moonbeam Entertainment.  It was fun but it did have a bit of a goofy quality about it.  The acting in this is absolutely amazing.  There is no weak links in this chain.  Ninaber is fantastic as Psycho Goreman and this character has so much potential to become a cult icon.  I would love to see him return in a sequel, prequel, or spin off of sorts.  I was really surprised by Nita-Josee Hanna and Owen Myre's performance.  They both worked very well together and showed experience beyond their years.  The supporting cast is just as great with the endless supply of unforgettable characters.  The story for this one is a direct to video kids flick meets the director of Manborg, The Void, and Father's Day just to name a few.  It's a great blend of comedy, horror, and sci-fi but there is a few dorky moments that didn't really work for me.  I loved the scale this film has.  The way the story is told gives the film a huge scope with the ancient evil, aliens and vast planets, and so many characters.  With that being said, the entire angle around their made up game was funny at first but became very cringy as the film progressed.  I'm sure they could have devised something else to put the fate of the universe in.  Finally, this film is full of practical and visual effects.  The practical effects are absolutely amazing and the visual effects did not let me down.  The kills in this one are extremely entertaining and they work very well with the film.  I was honestly impressed with how good this one looked.  Overall, PG: Psycho Goreman is my must see pick for the year.  2020 has been the year of shit but it will always stand out to me because it was the year that I saw my new favorite movie.  PG is fucking brilliant and genre fans really need to see this one.  Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment