Friday, December 4, 2020

Game of Thrones: Season Five




Creator(s) - David Benioff (Troy, X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and D.B. Weiss (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Starring - Iain Glen (Resident Evil: Extinction, Kick-Ass 2), Gwendoline Christie (Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens, The Hunger Games: Mickingjay - Part 2), and Aidan Gillen (The Dark Knight Rises, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Action/Fantasy
Tagline - "Vengeance is coming"
Format - 4K Ultra HD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I finished season four I had intended of waiting a few days before I went into another season.  I have some movies I need to check out and review but season four really hit hard with me so I decided that go ahead with season five.  I was sent home when a co-worker tested positive for Covid so I had plenty of time to dig into this season and holy fuck was it better than I expected.
     This season once again follows the kingdom as Joffrey's brother, now king, is wed and his forces are squashing down rebellions throughout the 7 kingdoms.  While things sort themselves out in the kingdom, the rangers are divided as Jon Snow sympathizes with the wildlings and let them in for fear of the white walkers but mutiny among his ranks leads to his untimely death.  
     As the show gears up for the battle between the 7 kingdoms and the white walkers I find myself becoming increasingly excited.  I absolutely love this story arch and the fact that it keep taking up more and more screen time really excites me.  I'm sure season six will be even better!  The acting in this season is probably the most impressive with many of the title characters taking on even more intense performances.  I was completely blown away by how far Lena Headey was willing to go for her role.  She literally bared it all for the show and her performance this season blows all the previous seasons out of the water.  Her character is written for you to hate and she does a fantastic job.  The story for this season, once again, picks up brilliantly from the previous season with even more character development.  Characters that were just shown briefly in previous seasons or that was not the most well developed characters are now transitioning to likable characters or more development is placed on them.  I really like the direction they took Jamie Lannister and how he is becoming one of my favorites of the show.  Finally, the practical effects and deaths are a little more brutal this time around but they are overshadowed by the dated and poorly done visual effects for the dragons and white walkers.  I'm sure they looked good five years ago when it was released but now I find these effects very funny.  Overall, Season five is easily the most action packed and epic season of the series so far but I know the future seasons are only going to improve from here.  Fantastic season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment