Saturday, December 5, 2020

I Start Counting




Director - David Greene (Murder Among Friends, Ghost Dancing)
Starring - Jenny Agutter (An American Werewolf in London, The Avengers), Bryan Marshall (The Punisher, Quatermass and the Pit), and Clare Sutcliffe (Thriller, General Hospital)
Release Date - 1969
Genre - Thriller
Tagline - "In the world of the nightmare, a little blood adds colour"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     A few months back I reviewed Alphabet City.  This organized crime drama was the first release from the newly formed Fun City Editions.  I really enjoyed it and was impressed by their first release.  I expected big things from this company after that first release and when I heard about I Star Counting I was really excited.  I had never heard of this one prior to their announcement but seeing that it had Jenny Agutter in it sold me on the release.  I got it in a few days back from Vinegar Syndrome and couldn't wait to dig into this late 60s thriller.  
     The film follows Wynne (Agutter) who is a teenager and coming into her own sexuality.  She is head over heals with her foster brother George (Marshall).  However, after a few strange occurances, she suspects that he may be responsible for several murders from around their neighborhood.  
     I knew this wasn't a horror flick.  The trailer and artwork was very clear about that.  Instead, this 1969 was based on the 1966 thriller novel of the same name.  I've never read this novel, nor did I know it even existed prior to Fun City's announcement, so my review will not be comparing it to written work.  However, I will be absolutely honest about the film...which I fucking loved.  The acting in this is great.  When I was younger I became a fan of Agutter after my first viewing of An American Werewolf in London.  She is an amazing actress and it's mind blowing seeing her absolutely nail her role here at such a young age.  She is a phenomenal actress with so many amazing credits under her name.  Honestly, she is one I would add to the top of the most underrated actresses of our time.  We also get a fantastic performance from Bryan Marshall who appeared in so many classic films that I remember watching when I was younger with my grandmother.  The supporting cast is just as well rounded as these two and no one was underwhelming.  The story for this one has a solid twist that you somewhat see coming but there is a few awkward situations that I really could have lived without.  I'm sure it was written that way but the awkward crush on her older foster brother was a little uncomfortable for me but it does work well with the story as it develops.  The family struggles, the teenage female angst of the 60s, the older men sexualizing teenagers, and the popular counter culture of the time really makes this story cemented into it's decade but it still finds it's footing in the thriller genre.  Sure, it's not as dark and haunting as other thrillers but it still has it's moments.  Finally, if you are looking for a bloody film you will not find it here.  Instead, the film is very character driven and heavy on story.  The deaths are off screen and only mentioned which does make the viewer use his imagination to an extent but gore hounds will be disappointed.   Overall, I Start Counting is another top notch release from Fun City Editions.  The image and sound quality is fantastic and this is another must have for collectors.  I highly recommend checking out this release!

No comments:

Post a Comment