Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Fantasm


Director - Richard Franklin (Patrick, The Lost World)
Starring - William Margold (Hackin' Jack vs the Chainsaw Chick, Portraits of Andrea Palmer), John Holmes (Disco Sex Party, Dracula Sucks), and Rene Bond (Five Loose Women, Country Hooker)
Release Date - 1976
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "See it with someone you love... and your relationship will never be the same again"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     With October just a few days behind me I found myself a little burnt out with horror.  I love the genre but sometimes I do over do it and this October I watched more horror titles than I typically do so it makes sense I needed to take a break from it.  A month or two ago Vinegar Syndrome released the Fantasm double feature as part of their Peekarama label.  Of course I had to snag this release and with October now over I decided that this sleazy softcore parody is the perfect film to charge my batteries.
     The film follows a sex doctor who has studied the desires of women for years and introduces several segments of various women exploring their sexual fantasies ranging from rape, incestuous, exhibition, and lesbian.
      Fantasm was pretty funny but the segments were not as fun as most fans made it out to be.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and laughed a few times but it does deliver the same gimmick over and over again but with a different scenario. It was fun at first but it does run it's course fairly quickly.  The acting in this one is fun.  Margold is the highlight of the film and his introduction to each setting is delightful.  Also, any movie that has Rene Bond in it has my money I don't give a fuck how old she is now.  With that being said, it's a softcore flick so the cast is extremely flat and the characters are painfully generic.  It's not until their clothes come off that they show any sign of life.  The stories for this one are not as fun or as funny as one would expect.  The wraparound segment following Margold as the host was fun and he does a fantastic job at keeping the entire film together.  His segment made it as fun as it is.  With that being said, the scenarios for each segment are extremely dry and dull until the dry humping and that's not enough to actually save the film.  I wish that these scenes featured some more comedy or at least a story that the viewer could grab on to.  I mean, it is softcore so it's not as sexy as a hardcore film.  Finally, don't expect blood and gore in this one.  However, if nudity is more your speed then this one is for you.  Overall, Fantasm was fun and had it's moments but this is not one I will be revisiting.  It has some laughs but the scenes that could benefit from some humor was seriously lacking.  It's fun for a first time watch but that's about it.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment