Thursday, November 11, 2021

Injustice


Director - Matt Peters (Scooby-Doo! Shaggy's Showdown, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War)
Starring - Justin Hartley (Smallville, Robot Chicken), Anson Mounts (Inhumans, Star Trek: Discovery), and Laura Bailey (Guardians of the Galaxy, Constantine: City of Demons)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Action/Sci-Fi
Tagline - "Gods among us!"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     DC has created a mess with their live action films but they have a thing or two to show Marvel when it comes to their animated efforts.  A few years ago I was turned on to the DC animated universe and I've been hooked ever since.  Most, if not all, were seriously fun films that I love revisit often.  A few months back I received the press release for the newest animated film Injustice.  This was one I was extremely excited about so I kept a close eye on the release.  As the release date approached I was quick to request a copy and a few days later a review copy of the film arrived on UHD.
     The film follows Superman on a different Earth that is forced to accidentally kill Lois Lane and her unborn child after the Joker arrives in Metropolis.  Grieving and heartbroken, he kills Joker and decides to use his powers to force peace on the world.  The Justice League is divided on his decision to police the world.  Wonder Woman and Cyborg stands behind Superman while Green Arrow, Batman, Plastic Man, and other appose him.  As Superman and his followers police the world, Batman and the others work on a way to stop Superman before it's took late.
     I was extremely excited to check out Injustice and the artwork for the film only peaked my curiosity.  I enjoyed it but it's predictable which does take away from the impact of the story.  I really did enjoy it but I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.  The voice acting in this one is great.  The cast's voice really fits the characters they were portraying.  These characters are iconic and fans have seen so many different voice actors portray them but I believe Injustice has probably been the best acted animated DC film I have seen to date.  With that being said, no one really stands out.  Everyone is on the same level which makes each scene work for the story without having someone steal the scene.  The story for this one set on another Earth and follows Superman who has embraced his power and turned into a world policing force where he bring about peace regardless of how many people die as a result.  This story is scary to think about but after watching Superman: Red Son and Brightburn it no longer has the same impact as it would have if it was released a few years ago.  Also, the film is rather predictable which also takes away some of the fun of the story.  Finally, the animation looks great and in line with the recent DC animated films.  Nothing really stands out but it looks good and works for the film.  Overall, Injustice is very enjoyable and a little unnerving considering the storyline.  I really enjoyed it but I feel that this film was a little too late and a few years passed a time that it would have worked in it's favor.  I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment