Saturday, November 6, 2021

Sons of Steel


Director - Gary L. Keady (Knightmare, PMax)
Starring - Rob Hartley (Knightmare), Roz Wason, and Jeff Duff (The Great Gatsby, Polymorphia)
Release Date - 1988
Genre - Comedy/Sci-Fi/Comedy
Tagline - "An out of control world needs an old fashioned hero"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     Over the last year I've found myself visiting the website makeflix.com often to see if they have any new releases.  For those of you that are unaware, makeflix.com is a distribution website from Tempe Video found and The Dead Next Door director J.R. Bookwalter where he has been releasing films from Sterling Entertainment, Retromedia Entertainment, Warlock Home Video, Future Video, and his own label.  A few months back I picked up the Future Video blu release of The Zombie Army and was a little disappointed.  I fucking love no budget zombie movies and was really looking forward to it but it just didn't work for me.  That didn't turn me off from the label.  In fact, when Future Video announced the release of their newest acquisition, Sons of Steel, I quickly rushed to makeflix to see if it was available.  It wasn't at the time so I ordered from Future Video directly but it has since been released on the site.  I wanted to watch it as soon as it arrived but I was in the middle of my Halloween horror binge and put it off until November.  Now, November is here and I couldn't wait any longer.  
     The film takes place in the future where the vocalist in a metal band awakens to discover that the world was forever changed when a nuclear submarine crash lands resulting in the near obliteration of mankind.  He is then sent back in time to stop it and rescue the people that he loves from the nuclear holocaust. 
      I heard that this film was fucking wild but I was not prepared for this fucking bat shit crazy film that is equal parts musical, comedy, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic film that only the Australians could deliver.  This is unlike any ozploitation flick I had seen before and I really wish others could witness this mild melting madness like I did.  The acting in this one is a little uneven and unintentionally funny at times but I really admire their dedication to the wild ass characters.  I've watched a lot of different ozploiation horror flicks over the years and they are all overflowing with memorable characters that are completely off the wall yet they don't hold a candle to Sons of Steel.  Black Alice, portrayed by Rob Hartley, took a minute to grow on me but once he did I was really enjoying his performance.  The supporting cast is just as odd and fun but the character of Black Alice carries the film and for obvious reasons.  The story for this one is extremely strange especially from a western film perspective.  It's not often you find a movie that's so gritty and raw yet so goofy with musical numbers.  I absolutely fucking loved it but there was a few scenes where the dialogue was horribly written.  I know, I know.  I'm the worst writer in history and my reviews are horribly written but I said what I said.  Some of the scenes suffered from cringy dialogue that just made it awkward to watch.  Aside from this, it was a lot of fun to watch the insanity unfold.  Finally, the film is not a horror film.  However, it is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi musical with some seriously underrated set designs and some fun costumes.  I was surprised by how great the sets and locations looked along with costumes most of the cast sports.  There is no blood and gore in this one but there is still other aspects that deserve our admiration and respect.  Overall, Sons of Steel was a life changing experience.  It's not perfect and I seriously hope my review did not paint the movie that way.  It's far from perfect but it's a film you experience and not watch.  I highly recommend this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment