Thursday, November 11, 2021

Hot Chicks Blast Uranus


Director - Richard Mogg (Earth Girls are Sleazy, Easter Bunny Bloodbath)
Starring - Kirk Munaweera (Bigfoot Ate My Boyfriend, Massage Parlor of Death), Christina Martine (Massage Parlor of Death, The Big Show), and Lloyd Kaufman (Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, Bigfoot Ate My Boyfriend)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Comedy/Sci-Fi
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Several years ago, almost at the beginning of my writing career, I discovered the no budget slasher Easter Bunny Bloodbath and was fucking obsessed with it.  It's been many years now but I'm almost certain that I have the film on VHS, DVD, and blu by this point.  I could be wrong because I do collect a lot of movies but I'm certain that I snagged this one on multiple formats.  It's such a fun slasher directed by RickMoe Productions founder Richard Mogg.  To date I have reviewed every release of his and all have received positive reviews from me.  His films are fucking hilarious and genuinely entertaining.  When Richard announced the release of a "lost" RickMoe flick Hot Chicks Blast Uranus I was fucking pumped.  Title aside, I was excited for a new mind melting RickMoe experience.  I want to thank Richard for sending this one over for me to check out.
     The film follows a small group of troubled women who are in a home working on their various issues like anger management and kleptomania.  One night they plan a party but soon find themselves under attack by beings from Uranus where they are forced to fight off the intergalactic menace.
     I went into this one expecting a wacky and hysterical sci-fi flick centered around butt jokes and the typical Mogg humor.  However, this did not feel like a film I would expect from Mogg.  It was pretty mild and the humor was not on the same level of the other films of his that I love.  The acting in this one is, surprisingly, one of the better acted RickMoe films.  The cast has a lot of fun on set and it shows in almost every scene.  The characters are not that memorable but the scenes are a lot easier to follow and comprehend due to the cast and their dedication to their roles.  The story for this one has all the makings of a classic RickMoe production but tapers off before coming together to create something along the lines of Bigfoot Ate My Boyfriend and Teenage Slumber Party Nightmare.  The thought of beautiful young women fighting off creatures from Uranus sounds like a film made just for me but the deliver was all wrong.  We get at least three fourths of the film where we follow the young ladies as they bicker and fight back and forth before the intergalactic fun begins.  It's very one sided and dull but the last 15 or so minutes is fun.  Finally, don't expect blood and gore with this sci-fi comedy.  However, if puppet aliens and beautiful women are your thing then you will be in luck with this one.  Overall, Hot Chicks Blast Uranus just doesn't have the charm that I expect from a Richard Mogg flick.  The humor and camp is lacking but I still believe the story has potential that Mogg could revisit later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment