Monday, November 8, 2021

Old


Director - M. Night Shyamalan (Split, Unbreakable)
Starring - Gael Garcia Bernal (The King, Vamps), Vicky Krieps (Phantom Thread, Hanna), and Rufus Sewell (Dark City, A Knight's Tale)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "It's only a matter of time"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Director M. Night Shyamalan is a polarizing filmmaker to say the least.  His films have always been successful yet fans of the horror genre are always divided among his work.  Honestly, I'm a fan of his but I can see why some genre fans dislike his work.  During the pandemic I wasn't expecting to catch filmmakers that I enjoy releasing a movie during these difficult times but when I saw ads for Old I was caught off guard.  I knew I would be checking it out but I wasn't expecting to see Shyamalan releasing one of his films right now.  As soon as I received the press release for the physical release I jumped on it in hopes of reviewing it.  Once the UHD arrived I was quick to toss it in.
     The film follows a family who are visiting a resort for vacation when they hear about a secret cove nearby with crystal clear beaches and no tourists.  The family, along with other guests, go to the cove which is beautiful and serine.  However, things take a horrifying turn when one of the guests drowns and speculation that her boyfriend, famed rapper Midsized Sedan, is responsible for her death which results in animosity between him and several of the guests.  Before long they realize that everyone is aging rapidly and anyone that tries to leave the cove blackouts or drowns.  With their numbers dwindling they soon find themselves making hasty decisions in order to survive.
     Shyamalan is a filmmaker that you either love or hate but I personally enjoy his films especially his last five or so films.  Split is one of my favorite horror efforts of the last ten years and The Visit is a phenomenal film for a first time viewing.  However, his older films has created a stigma around them and those that are familiar with his earlier films refuse to give his newer works a chance.  I really enjoyed Old and the ending really left me wanting another film.  The acting in this one is great.  I really enjoyed the cast and the characters that they brought to life.  The way the characters are written almost feels like a parody of the characters you would find at resorts.  The cast was given a lot to work with and everyone did a fantastic job.  The story for this one has that expected Shyamalan twist ending that many don't enjoy but I do.  In fact, that ending made it worth the watch for me and I seriously hope we get a follow up or a prequel.  It's an interesting premise that I genuinely enjoyed.  Also, I loved the build up to the reveal as well. The characters interactions and dilemmas, the drama, and the horror all works together perfectly to create something that will hold your attention from beginning to end.  Finally, the film has some bloody and violent moments but they are done as tastefully as big budget cinema could so we don't get to see the gory moments.  There is some blood but don't expect the deaths to be something that would stand out to you.  Overall, Old has received mixed reviews from genre fans but I'm confident that if you give it a chance you will enjoy it just as much as I did.  Or, you can join the horror hipsters in hating it for no reason.  Regardless, it was fun and I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment