Monday, November 1, 2021

The Degenerates



Director - Jonathan Doe (Barf Bunny, Carving the Cadaver Vol. 1)
Starring - Felicia Fisher (Thrust, Green Hell) and Jonathan Doe
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Horror is such a vast genre with so many sub-genres and hybrids.  For the most part, I enjoy most of them but there is some trends or movements that I often avoid because I don't really care for them.  I respect what they do and bring to the table but they just don't do anything for me.  I'm not much on extreme horror.  I find it boring and the lack of story makes it damn near impossible for me to finish.  I love gore but I need story with it.  I've seen a few extreme horror, or underground, releases over the years that I did like but most of them just wasn't for me.  Several months back I was asked to review the short Barf Bunny from filmmaker Jonathan Doe.  It starred Felicia Fisher who has appeared in several of SamHel's films so I was familiar with her.  I agreed and after watching I can safely say it's not my cup of tea.  A few days back Doe reached back out to review his newest film The Degenerates which once again starred Fisher.  I agreed and was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it.  I want to thank Jonathan for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check this one out.
     The film follows a young couple who are staying in a hotel for a few nights.  However, they are not your typical couple.  They had recently murdered someone, dismembered the body, and use it to fulfill their sexual fantasies.  
     I didn't know what to expect from The Degenerates but I was surprised by how much I liked it.  It's not a movie I would typically go out of my way to watch but it was fun for what it was and it didn't overstay it's welcome.  The acting in this one is one sided but Fisher is really dedicated to her performance.  Aside from acting, Fisher is a fetish model so she is very comfortable in her own skin.  She is not shy and goes above and beyond what most actresses would.  She's perverse and sickening but it's still oddly sexy.  Doe is the second character in the film and he still pretty much serves as director in front of the camera.  The story for this one is straight forward with no twists.  It's gritty, bloody, and sexual and that's the extent of it.  There is no thought provoking tale or a story that pulls on your heartstrings.  Instead, its a woman pleasing herself with the body parts of a corpse.  With that being said, it is extremely similar to the horror short Necrosexual starring Kansas Bowling which was also inspired by a murder in the 80s where a woman and her lover kill her boyfriend and then raped the corpse.  It's fun here and works.  Finally, this one does not have a high body count but there is one body prop that looks fantastic.  I want to say it looks like the handy work of James Bell but I could be wrong.  Regardless, it looks great and I really enjoyed the look of it and what Fisher did with it.  Overall, The Degenerates is going to turn some people off and I can see why.  However, I liked how sleazy and bloody it was.  It's not a movie I would typically enjoy but Doe does a great job turning something so simple into something entertaining.  Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment