Friday, August 12, 2022

Shark Movies to Watch on a Rainy Afternoon Vol. 1


Director - Addison Binek (Psycho Ape!, Tromasterpiece Theatre: The Battle of Love's Run)
Starring - Addison Binek
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I watch a lot of shitty movies.  Some are by choice while others are not.  I love the weird side of cinema and the stranger the plot of a film the more I'm interested in it.  Several years ago I befriended Addison Binek and soon discovered that he had just a bad taste in film as I did.  In fact, his love of horrible movies inspired him to create his YouTube web series Movies to Watch on a Rainy Afternoon.  Paying tribute to MST3K and Riff Tracks, Binek set out to riff no budget schlockers, mock busters, and late night guilty pleasures.  Since starting his web series many years ago he has released several compilation releases following various themes.  I've reviewed a few of them up to this point and when Addison asked me to check out a few more I couldn't tell him no.  After watching his Cannibals and Zombies Collection I decided to move on to Shark Movies to Watch on a Rainy Afternoon Vol. 1.  Thanks Addison for sending this one over. 
     This collection features episodes of Movies to Watch on a Rainy Afternoon that feature films of sharks and shark hybrids along with all the humor you expect from the show's host Addison Binek.
     Shark Movies Vol. 1 has some funny moments but I think I would have appreciated the humor and jokes if I had seen these films.  Most of the other collections that Binek has released over the years consist of films that I've seen.  I know how bad, cheesy, and horribly written they were so the jokes he made found their mark.  He does include clips from the films that go along with his skit but it's not the same if you've never seen the films.  I'm not much on shark films so all these movies are new to me.  The acting in this one is the same as all the other collections.  Addison is at home in front of the camera and is very natural there.  His sense of humor is similar to mine and I can find a lot of humor in this even though I've never seen these films.  However, some of the stuff did miss it's mark because I was unfamiliar with the films.  He still attacks the episode with the same energy that he always does.  The writing in this, if you are unfamiliar with the YouTube web series, follows shows like MST3K.  He jokes, pokes fun of, and sometimes parodies the films he discusses.  We get a lot of shark humor which does get old fairly early on.  I found it mostly funny but after three or four episodes I was ready to move on to something else.  Finally, the show is crudely out together which is part of it's charm.  It's clearly a no-budget production but you can see the passion Binek has for his show and he makes it work.  Overall, Shark Movies Vol. 1 is another fun collection from Binek and his YouTube channel that he has spent years culminating.  I recommend checking it out especially if you are fans of cheesy and campy horror flicks.  It's a lot of fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment