Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Bushwhacker



Director - Byron Mabe (She Freak, Space Thing)
Starring - Dan Martin (The Lustfull Turk, The Head Mistress), Merci Montello (Erika's Hot Summer, The Single Girls), and Barbara Kline (Baby Vickie, Henry's Night In)
Release Date - 1968
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "An adult color spectacular"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     When Mondo Macabro and CAV sent over this last set of releases I was extremely excited to dig into these films.  I was on the fence with Hotel Fear but after finally watching it I have to admit that I truly enjoy it and Strangler vs. Strangler.  However, the film that really caught my eye was the second film in their sister label's double feature consisting of The Ravager and The Bushwhacker.  The Bushwhacker really caught my eye and after reading the synopsis I was extremely curious.  As soon as I finished The Ravager I quickly hit play on The Bushwhacker in hopes that it would make up for the latter.  Like always, I want to thank MM and CAV for sending this release over.
     The film follows a wild bushwhacker who spots a small plane traveling above.  Aimed with a sure shot, he brings the plane down into the desert.  The survivors, three beautiful women and their male pilot, set out to make camp in hopes that someone comes looking for them.  Unbeknownst to them, the bushwhacker is near and looking for beautiful women to take back to his camp.
     The Bushwhacker has a wild story that completely failed to bring it all together into something memorable.  Instead, it's a skin flick with little skin and no story at all.  I was seriously looking forward to a corny flick with some boobs and a stupid story but what I was given with little skin and a story that was quickly written on a napkin a few minutes before filming.  The acting in this one is one of the few redeeming qualities.  I actually really enjoyed the cast and the cliched characters they brought to life.  They work very well together in front of the camera and, though they are generic, the characters are pretty fun to watch.  The story for this one is a huge mess.  Most of the movie is the group wandering aimlessly through the mountainous terrain looking for help while spitting out some of the worst dialogue I've heard in a while.  When not following the group as they have a dull conversation we are given scenes of the bushwhacker carrying a woman through the same landscape.  There is very little for the viewer to grasp on to.  Finally, the film has a limited amount of skin but don't expect a bloody horror flick.  It lacks blood and the boobs are far and few in between.  Overall, The Bushwhacker was not what I was expecting and it just didn't scratch the itch so to speak.  It was a difficult film to finish and I couldn't get into it.  Skip it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment