Friday, August 26, 2022

Zero Budget Heroes: The Legend of Chris Seaver & Low Budget Pictures


Director - Zach Olivares
Starring - Chris Seaver (Troma's Edge TV, Taintlight), John Karyus (Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, The Plague), and Josh Suire (Happy Helladays, Evil Night)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Cheap. Vile. Hilarious.  The littlest film company you never knew"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Many years ago, almost decades now, I snagged my first Chris Seaver film.  I purchased the Ghoul School four film collection from Brentwood Entertainment.  I saw Debbie Rochon on the cover and when I flipped it around I was sold on the titles and their synopsis.  This was my introduction into the wild world of Low Budget Pictures and the genius mind of Chris Seaver.  I soon found him on social media and took a deep dive into his Warlock Home Video releases.  Over the years I've collected most, if not all, of his films and constantly visit his page to make sure something wasn't announced that I had missed.  It was on one of these occasions that I saw a post from him talking about Zach Olivares' documentary Zero Budget Heroes.  I was quick to add Zach on Facebook and quickly messaged him about the film.  At the time it wasn't ready but once it was finished and was making it's rounds on the festival circuit he was kind enough to send a message my way so I could check it out.  I'm glad he did because it was one hell of a good time.  Thank you Zach for giving Chris the spotlight he truly deserves.
     The documentary explores the humble beginnings of indie filmmaker Chris Seaver that got his start when he took his grandparent's video camera to make his own films.  Soon he had friends involved before maturing to the point that he had his own team of passionate friends that continue to work with him from project to project.  
     Zero Budget Heroes is one of the few documentaries that I truly look forward to checking out.  I have been known to review cryptid docs from time to time but those are nothing like watching a doc centered around one of my favorite filmmakers.  I've been collecting Seaver's films for years and I couldn't wait to explore how he got the ideas behind the films and how he got a start to his film-making career.  This one doesn't disappoint and even offers up an emotional side to the filmmaker that I have admired for some time.  The interviews in this one consist of a wide range of former and current Low Budget Pictures' collaborators.  We do get a lot of insight into what it was like working with Seaver now, in the beginning, and in between.  It was a huge cast of interviews that really showed what it was like on set with Seaver and how quick, chaotic, and comical it was to film with him.  However, I would have loved to hear from some of the locals that deemed him a menace.  I think it would have been interesting to hear from some of the locals and what they thought of Seaver and the gang.  The topics discussed were approached in a chronological order as we moved from his childhood to the current.  We see what it was like to work with him prior to the founding of LBP up until now.  We also get a good look at how some of his most memorable characters and films came to be along with some regret for those that did not age well.  The film doesn't really hold much back and ends with a bit of an emotional ending.  Finally, the editing and transitioning is top notch.  This documentary is well put together, flows very well, but it's just a pinch too long.  I'd hate to say that the film should be trimmed down but I could see some editing could be done and some unused interviews could have been used for a sequel.  Overall, Zero Budget Heroes is a fantastic documentary about one of the most underrated indie filmmakers of our generation.  Fans of the silly side of cinema really need to check this one out and give director Chris Seaver the credit he fully deserves.  I loved this one and I can't wait to add it to my collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment