Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Ravager


Director - Charles Nizet (Help Me... I'm Possessed, Voodoo Heartbeat)
Starring - Jo Long, Pierre Agostino (Red Heat, Las Vegas Serial Killer), and Lynn Hayes 
Release Date - 1970
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Just when you thought you've seen it all... You'll be shocked and excited when you see THE RAVAGER DOING HIS THING!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I look to Mondo Macabro for international titles that I would never see any other way.  However, they do handle some seriously underrated exploitation films from time to time.  Keep in mind, I've only been collecting Mondo Macabro releases for a few years but those few years I've been adding them to my collection was mostly international titles and the occasional exploitation flick.  The last batch of MM releases I received for review included two international titles and an exploitation double feature which is part of their sister label, American Arcana.  I had a lot of fun with Strangler vs. Strangler and Hotel Fear but I was really looking forward to The Ravager and The Bushwhacker double feature.  After watching both films I quickly tossed in The Ravager and hit play.  Like always, I want to thank Mondo Macabro and CAV for sending this one over.
     The film follows a Vietnam vet who becomes a serial rapist and murder after witnessing the brutal rape and murder of a Vietnamese woman.  Now, armed with patience and dynamite, he hunts down couples and has his way with the women.
     The Ravager is straight to the point and painfully repetitive.  I don't mind if a movie, especially a sleazy exploitation flick, uses the same gag once or twice but The Ravager is a one trick pony with most of the scenes being redundant.  I really wanted to like it but I was bored to fucking tears by the 20 minute mark.  The acting in this one is exactly what you would expect.  The cast is dedicated to their roles but inexperience does rear it's ugly head.  It's not horribly acted but there is a few awkward scenes where the cast struggles to find their footing.  The story for this one has a decent enough set up for an exploitation flick with a horror spin.  We get a demented veteran using the skills he learned in combat to kill those he stalks.  Toss in some explosions, blood, and boobs and you have the entire film in a nutshell.  However, once or twice of this would have been sufficient.  However, the film continues to throw that same set up down your throat until the very end with little to nothing new for the viewer to enjoy.  It's evident this was a rushed production with a half-written script.  Finally, the film has some blood splatter and explosions but that's the extent of it.  The boobs are nice to look at but the lack of practical effects was a big let down.  Overall, The Ravager may be a notorious exploitation film but that doesn't make it a good one.  I really wanted to write a positive review for this one but I just can't.  It wasn't for me at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment