Sunday, December 2, 2012

Big Top Pee-Wee



Director - Randal Kleiser (Honey, I Blew Up the Kid)
Starring  - Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee's Big Adventure), Penelope Ann Miller (The Relic), and Kris Kristofferson (Blade)
Release Date - 1988
Genre - Comedy/Adventure/Children's
Tagline - "Hero. Lover. Legend"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)
Favorite Quote - "My chin's banged up pretty bad... I think my ribs are broke... an' it feels like I punctured a major organ, Andy... but I'm circus"


Rating (out of 5):

     I know this movie does not fit on my blog, along with Leave It to Beaver and so forth, but  growing up I was a huge Pee-Wee Herman fan and I that has carried over in to my adulthood.  When I was little I had a slew of Pee-Wee Herman toys and watched Pee-Wee's Playhouse anytime I got the chance.  When I was a little older I was able to watch Pee-Wee's Big Adventure for the first time and loved it.  That film only solidified my appreciation for the character Pee-Wee Herman and turned me in to a long time Tim Burton fan.  When I was in middle school I was finally able to catch Big Top Pee-Wee on HBO or Cinemax and did not like it that much.  It just did not feel the same as all the other films and shows.  One day, a few months back, I stopped in at a Books-a-Million store and found this for $3.  I had to add it to my collection so I grabbed and finally sat down to give it another shot.   
     This film completely ignores the previous film and places Pee-Wee (Reubens) on a farm with his talking pig, Vance.  Pee-Wee and Vance are conducting botanical experiments on plants with the hopes of ending world hunger.  After following up on his experiments, Pee-Wee and Vance head off to the local school so Pee-Wee can have lunch with the school teacher, and his fiancee, Winnie (Miller).  After his lunch date, he heads off to the local store to grab a cheese sandwich, because he did not like the sandwiches she prepared, where the sheriff tells everyone that a bad storm is on the way.  He rushes home and puts all of his animals in his cellar to ride the storm out.  The following morning Pee-Wee leaves his basement and discovers a circus has been blown in to his backyard.  After Pee-Wee helps the manager of the circus, Mace Montana (Kristofferson), he meets Gina.  Pee-Wee is infatuated with her and forgets about his fiancee, Winnie.  Meanwhile back in town, the locals do not welcome the carnies and try to force them out of town.  When a group of brothers, the acrobats in the circus, try to obtain groceries from the store and are denied, Winnie goes in and pretends to be shopping for herself and get them items they require.  Winnie and the acrobats return to Pee-Wee's and she finds him kissing Gina.  She yells at Pee-Wee and throws his lunch in the river.  Pee-Wee then tell Gina about Winnie and Gina leaves.  Pee-Wee is devastated that Gina is mad at him.  Winnie becomes close to the acrobats and is able to participate in the circus life and this gives Pee-Wee an idea to try his talents and win Gina back.  However, Pee-Wee fails at everything he attempts but is still able to win Gina's love.  Mace decides to open the circus in Pee-Wee's backyard for the locals but they refuse and try to force Mace and his carnies out of town.  Pee-Wee, having attended junior college, uses his special plants to turn the locals in to children so Mace can go on with the show.  
     To me, this movie does not hold a candle to any of the other Pee-Wee movie, shows, and specials.  Pee-Wee, other than a few occurrences, just does not act like the Pee-Wee I am used to.  In the Pee-Wee Herman Show his humor is more adult oriented, while the movie and tv shows are aimed for children, however, in this one all he cares about is knocking off a piece, regardless if school kids are watching.  It just did not seem like Pee-Wee to me.  This is not a bad movie, however.  The acting and special effects are very well done.  I am really surprised to see Kris Kristofferson in a Pee-Wee Herman film.  It did shock me when I saw his name in the opening credits.  I did not like the story.  It was original, but it is also boring.  I honestly don't think I would have liked this movie as much as I did if it did not have Pee-Wee in it regardless of the pop icon of the time that took his place.  Overall, this is a forgotten film and I can see why.  If you're a fan of Pee-Wee then you know exactly what I am talking about.  If you want to watch a Pee-Wee Herman movie then watch Big Adventure.  It is a far superior film.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment