Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Jack Frost

 



Director - Michael Cooney (Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman)
Starring - Scott MacDonald (Dexter), Christopher Allport (The X-Files), and Stephen Mendel (The Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie)
Release Date - 1996
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "He's chillin...and killin"
Format - Streaming (Netflix)
Favorite Quote - "When I want philosophy, I'll turn on Oprah"

Rating (out of 5):

     This is one of those movies you would always see in the video store but never have the drive to rent it.  When I was in 9th grade I asked my Dad to pick up this film while I was at school so I could watch it when I got home.  Unfortunately, Dad did get me the movie Jack Frost, but it was the Michael Keaton family film.  I watched it, kinda liked it, but was disappointed it was not the cheesy killer snowman flick I was looking for.  I forgot about it as time dragged on until this time last year when I was looking for other Christmas themed horror films when I found a poster for this flick.   I started looking around Netflix and found it.  I knew it would suck but I still wanted to watch it.  
     The film opens with serial killer Jack Frost (MacDonald) as he is transported to his execution when the vehicle strikes a truck caring a scientific experiment.  Acid splashes on to Jack Frost and he melts in to a bloody pile before being absorbed in to the snow.  This just happens to take place right outside the town Jack Frost was captured in when he went on his five state killing spree killing 38 people.  After his trial, Frost vowed to get revenge on the cop that arrested him, Sheriff Tiler (Allport).  The news reports of Jack Frost's death and the news reaches Tiler.  He starts having flash backs of that dreadful day he crossed paths with Jack Frost.  However, strange things start to occur and bodies are being found around town, and a strange snowman is also found in front of the Tiler home.  The snowman is, as you have guessed, Jack Frost.  After the murders occur, Agent Manners and Stone arrive.  Manners does not state what government agency he works for, but simply goes along with whatever agency they mention.  Also, Stone was the scientist responsible for making the chemical that turned Frost in to the homicidal snowman and sees Jack Frost as a mother would see a child.  As more and more people die, Tiler, Manners, Stone and some deputies arrive at the police station where they try to fend of Frost before killing him with a truck bed full of antifreeze.
     This is one of those films that is so damn bad that it's good.  It reminds me a lot of the cheesy monster movies from the 70's and 80's.  Like a lot of the movies from that time, this movie is damn entertaining the first time around, however, after that first viewing it loses the luster.  The acting is on the same level as most of the Sy Fy channel movies and so is the special effects.  There is very little snowman action, which is disappointing.  Most of Jack Frost's acts take place off camera and all the viewer gets to see is a giant foam hand...that is until the scene where Shannon Elizabeth is dry humped to death.  Yes, the Shannon Elizabeth that bared it all for our entertainment in American Pie.  This is actually her first acting gig.  Anyway, back to the special effects.  The film was actually shot in California and to compensate for no snow the production crew just laid down cotton and fake snow all over the set.  I know this because on multiple occasions you can see the actors trip on it or kick it.  I really enjoy the deaths.  The team did a good job bringing in the holiday elements when they offed someone.  This movie also does a very good job keeping with the feel of the holidays.  I really like Christmas themed horror films when they keep the holiday feel and traditions all the way through the film.  Not only does it please your homicidal urges, it also puts you in the holiday spirit.  Overall, this is just a shitty movie with a stupid plot but definitely delivers on entertainment and, unfortunately, after one viewing you will never want to see it again.              








     

No comments:

Post a Comment