Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Treevenge



Director - Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun)
Starring - Jonathan Torrens (Trailer Park Boys), Sarah Dunsworth (Trailer Park Boys), and Lex Gigeroff (Lexx)
Release Date - 2008
Genre - Horror/Exploitation/Comedy
Format - Streaming (Youtube)
Favorite Quote - "God damn trees...fuck"

Rating (out of 5):




     The Christmas theme is still going strong as we pass the half way mark of the month and I am getting a little sick of the holiday flicks.  After watching Scrooged I decided to watch something not holiday related.  However, last night, while looking at reviews for movies I wish to purchase soon, I found a list of Christmas themed horror films.  This list had some movies I had never heard of before.  They all looked decent, but one caught my eye.  It was called Treevenge.  With a title like that, only one thing came to my mind and that was killer Christmas trees.  I had to find it.  I did not care of the price as long as I could watch it.  Unfortunately, I could not find it on amazon.com, nor could I find a store link on the official website.  A little bummed, I searched Netflix and Youtube and scored when I found a decent version of this short on Youtube.    
     The film opens with a group angry lumberjacks cutting down trees to be sold during the holiday season.  The trees are animated and can communicate with each other in their own language.  After they are transported to a Christmas tree lot, the Macmichael family stops in to pick out a family tree and when they find the perfect one, they take it home to decorate.  On Christmas, as everyone opens their presents, while others try to fuck, the trees attack and start killing all the men, women, and children.
     This is one of those movies that is completely ridiculous and still entertains.  The story is completely off the wall, the acting is bad, and the special effects are b-movie good, however, this movie still entertains.  I really like when a director takes an insane storyline and creates a film with the perfect combination of horror and comedy.  Films like Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles are perfect examples of this.  Some movies do not need to be story rich as long as they entertain.  Hell, sometimes I just wanna watch a movie and not think about what I'm watching and just let the humor and violence play out.  This also shows how adding humor to a shitty story works instead of trying to make a serious film with a stupid storyline.  Overall, this short should definately be watched, and around 15 minutes long you can make the time to fit this in to your busy schedule.  Check it out and laugh your ass off.





No comments:

Post a Comment