Monday, February 10, 2014

Cockneys Vs Zombies (2012)





(out of 5)
Cockneys Vs. Zombies (2012)
directed by:  Matthias Hoene
starring:   , Harry Treadaway, Michelle Ryan, Jack Doolan, Georgia King, Ashley Thomas, Tony Gardner, Alan Ford, Honor Blackman
Format:  Netflix Streaming
Tagline:  The Undead Are Brown Bread

     Horror comedies especially zombie horror comedies are a dime a dozen and while I do enjoy a good horror comedy now and again for the most part I just can't get into the grand majority.  I'm just not a comedy guy it is my least favorite genre however a good one comes along every once in awhile that just puts me in stitches.  Here we have a prime example of one and it's a zombie comedy to boot.  I point that out because I really shied away from this one for so long because I did not want to see another Shaun of the Dead or Dead Alive wanna be.  Dead wrong thankfully hahaha.
     First of all the film stars Alan Ford who played Brick Top in Snatch and while it is not a horror film it's one of my personal favorites and Alan's role in that film is epic.  He plays a very similar character named Ray in this one, your typical old tough guy/wise guy who has run out of money and is being forced move out of his old folks home. Unknown to Ray his grandchildren are not satisfied with their loving grandfather being taken out of the home and away from his friends so they rob a bank in order to raise the money themselves.  The only problem is a zombie apocalypse begins just as our fearless bank robbers are finishing up the job.  After taking a couple hostages including a whiney banker named Clive (Tony Garnder) who you just want to be eaten the whole film and a cute blonde banker named
Emma (Georgia King) who actually befriends the group of robbers and eventually helps them against the zombie hordes.  Our small band of criminals is at first lead by Mental Mickey (Ashley Thomas) who although plays a bit of roided out dick in the movie actually was one of my favorite characters.  He was a total psycho right up until is his obvious demise.  One of the best scenes of the film is when he is bitten on the arm and blows the zombies head off the jaw however remains intact still biting his arm.  He walks around for a bit with the zombie jaw connected to him and for some reason that really tickled the funny bone with me.
     The robbers quickly change the plan of escape to a search and rescue of their grandfather and his friends once Mental Mickey is relieved from life and it is at that point towards the end of the film when things really got funny for me.  The old folk jokes were unstoppable I had to rewind a couple times from laughing so hard but maybe it was just me.  Reminded me a lot of one of my favorite animation movies City of Rott with all the old man humor floating around.  I really loved this movie and I highly recommend it to anyone in the mood for a few laughs.  The fx were good for the most part, the movie flows very well with the right amount of humor and zombie action. 
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment