Monday, February 3, 2014

Hypnophobia (2013)




(out of 5)
Hypnophobia (2013)
directed by:  Adam Dunning
starring:  Adam Dunning, Olivia Kuttrubis, Ronald Muir, Nicki Ostrowski, Erin Rovin, Sam Rovin
tagline:  Sleep Is Not What You Should Be Afraid Of.
Format:  Screener NTSC Region 1

     I am not much for shorts at all.  Always leaves me wanting more but it's part of growing up as a filmmaker and perfecting your craft behind the camera.  This one is why I should watch more shorts than I do.  Can't go into a whole lot story wise here so as not to spoil the movie but let's just break it down to basics.  A girl is trapped in an asylum who is afraid of sleep because she is constantly seeing a dead bloody girl. 
    The set inside the asylum was pretty sweet I don't know what it is about prison or asylum films but they always peak my claustrophobic interest.   Erin Rovin did a spectacular job creating the image of Samantha our disturbed young protagonist.  Her make-up very simple and key to portraying some one with a severe lack of sleep.  She doesn't know who the little girl is or why the little girl won't leave her alone but she's always there and she won't sleep.  Samantha claims if she sleeps "they" will get her
     This film uses a lot of dialogue to paint the picture and for me anyway it hit the nail on the head psychologically.  I was drawn in and never looked away till the credits ran.  You could really feel the pain and fear of Samantha and the frustration of her amnesia like state of mind.  Have to give it to the director here this one is dark, impressive, and kept me hanging on ever scene. 



 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment