Monday, February 3, 2014

The Legend of the Psychotic Forest Ranger

Director - Brad Mills
Starring - Michael G. MacDonald, Samuel MacDonal LeMoine, and Colleen MacIsaac (The Party Code)
Release Date - 2011
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "He just wants to axe you a few questions"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     The reason I write reviews is not because I get paid to do so because I do not.  I actually do this just for fun because I absolutely love watching movies and sharing my thoughts on them.  When I see a movie that peaks my interest I have to see it.  That is how I came across the 80s slasher throwback, The Legend of the Psychotic Forest Ranger.  A review blog that I frequently visit posted a review for the film earlier last year.  The second I saw the poster artwork I had to see it.  I found the Facebook page for the film.  I reached out to the page and was re-directed to Black Fawn Distribution who is currently handling the film.  Some time passed, several months in fact, before I finally received my screener copy of the film.  This was time well worth the wait.  However, as I waited for the film to arrive I did learn from the film's Facebook page that the director was able to raise $50,000 on Facebook to make the film which really shows how supportive the horror community really is. 
     The film follows a group of recent high school graduates who decide to go out for a camping trip to usher in their lives as adults.  However, they run out of gas on an old abandoned road.  They leave the car, along with their camping gear, on the dirt road and decide to hoof it to the next home.  They walk for what feels like hours but do come across a seemingly abandoned home.  They test the door and discover that it is indeed unlocked.  They head inside where they booze it up.  During the night a forest ranger stops in and warns them that a prowler has been spotted nearby and they should be careful.  The following day the group spots someone spying on them through the window.  The two men of the group chase him down where they meet another group of locals that also want to use the home to party.  That is when the story gets good.  Many years ago a forest ranger went missing and was presumed dead.  However, this is far from the case.  The forest ranger is actually a Satan worshiping killer who uses a "moral" compass to hunt down those that are having a morally corrupt good time.  The forest ranger slowly makes his way through the party goers forcing the remaining few to fight back. 
     Very few modern 80s slasher throwbacks are able to recreate the same look and feel that 80s slashers were known for.  80s slashers had fun atmosphere along with a standard formula that almost every slasher followed.  I have seen quite a few slasher throwbacks in recent years.  Most were fun but very few were able to recreate that 80s slasher vibe.  Lucky for me The Legend of the Psychotic Forest Ranger was able to pull it off flawlessly.  The film is perfectly executed to look like an 80s slasher.  The eye for detail in this one is tremendous.  The film uses iconic shots to get the killer in true slasher poses and then uses beautiful camera angles to get shots of the weapons the killer uses.  These shot almost mirror image kill scenes from so many slashers.  The acting in this one is fun.  It is not bad but it is inexperienced.  The cast really had fun in their roles and it shows on screen but their inexperience does shine through their performances.  The story in this one is something we have seen before but the killer was a little different.  This story follows a demonic forest ranger that kills those he sees doing wrong just like Angela Baker in the Sleepaway Camp series.  However, I personally loved this story and how it was executed.  The demonic forest ranger is rather funny all while retaining the real terror like so many slasher icons.  I also liked the use of humor and one liners.  It really helped some of the acting flaws.  Finally, the film has some really fun slasher kills.  Some were really fun and inventive while others were the same slasher stock we have seen time after time.  With that being said, the special effects were on the weak side.  Not all slashers have great special effects but the kills would go so much further if they were just a little better.  Overall, The Legend of the Psychotic Forest Ranger is a fun slasher throwback that has beautiful women, an iconic killer, and a few good laughs.  This film needs to find a home in your collection.  I highly recommend it.





No comments:

Post a Comment