Sunday, February 2, 2014

Demon


Director - Rob Walker (Gothic Vampires from Hell)
Starring - Jasmine Waltz (Cheerleader Massacre 2), Michael Placencia (Houseflies), and Bill Housekeeper (Let Me Out)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "An escaped science experiment with a taste for human flesh"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      I hate to judge a book by it's cover but sometimes that is impossible to do.   Poster work can give the viewer bad preconceived notions which is something that the viewer may never shake while watching the film.  This is something I have preached time after time again and poster artwork is even more important for an indie production.  Artwork is one of the few marketing tools that indie flicks have and if the artwork sucks then the film does not sell.  That brings me to my next review. The film, Demon, was scheduled to be released by Midnight Releasing last December.  Whether the film was released on time I do not know but I was able to see the screener for the flick online which showed off some rather boring poster work.
     The film follows a female F.B.I. agent (not Scully) who travels to a town who is suffering from a string of murders.  The murders look like a creature attack and the local authorities are not happy the F.B.I. sent a woman to do a man's job...so to speak.  As the rag tag team investigate the murders they are accompanied by two scientists who fills the others in on the horrendous news.  The beast they are looking for is a chupacabra (that's right, the cryptozoological creature and not a demon) and it is part of an experiment they are working on.  However, the scientists are not fully honest with the others and when they get close to tracking down the beast they turn their weapons on the others to protect their experiment.
     When I first spotted the poster work for this film I knew I would not enjoy this film but I had no idea how bad the movie would end up being. When the film was over and the shit settled I could have sworn that this film was something they would show on SyFy late at night.  The film lacked everything needed to be a great creature feature and tries to rely on the "smoking" hot female lead.  However, the female lead is not that hot and definitely not hot enough to save this P.O.S.  The acting in this one is not that bad but it is not the best I have seen.  However, for a film that could be compared to a SyFy original the acting is a little better than usual.  The story is something I have seen so many times in generic horror/sci-fi hybrids.  Sadly, these same films are the ones I have seen on the SyFy channel so many times.  Finally, the film has some decent special effects but a shitty looking creature and on screen kills.  A film about a monster needs to have a great looking monster and this film does not.  Overall, this is an unoriginal monster movie that skips on the monster...and movie.  Avoid this one.






    




No comments:

Post a Comment