Sunday, February 23, 2014

Wild Justice


Director - Julian Cheah (Killer Clown)
Starring - Rod Manikam (The Hired Killer), Simon Arblaster (Golden Gods), and Maggie Meyer (The Silent City)
Release Date - 2014
Genre - Action
Tagline - "They chose the wrong man to hunt"
Format - Streaming (Online screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I hate when filmmakers try to take on projects bigger than their budget. You need money to pull action and sci-fi off unlike horror and drama flicks.  Recently, I reviewed the indie action flick Gone Dark sent to me by the fine folks over at Midnight Releasing.  I appreciate every screener sent my way but this film was extremely horrible.  I was also sent a screener for the action flick Wild Justice by Midnight Releasing's sister company Brain Damage Films.  As much as I did not like Gone Dark I tried to be open minded for Wild Justice.  Who knows, it could be the next Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction (Quick update:  Its not!).
      The film follows former soldier Daniel Wilson (Manikam) and his beautiful wife Lisa (Meyer).  The two are in love and recently Lisa discovered she is expecting the two's first child. However, one night Daniel breaks up a potential rape and beats the gangsters ass.  This gangster tells the local crime boss about the incident forcing him to act.  He sends his thugs to kidnap Lisa.  Once he does so he holds her for ransom but when Daniel shows up with the money  the goon kills Lisa anyway sparking a blood fueled killing spree in the name of lost love.
     The first few moments made me think there was hope for the film.  The film looked great but as the film progressed my hope turned to sorrow as I watched more and more of this steaming pile.  The acting is not that great but I personally believe that is due to the horrendous dialogue.  Most of the scenes felt like they were written for a 70s and 80s buddy cop television show.  The character's interactions just did not seem real.  The story for this one is bad...and I mean BAD.  The story is unoriginal and the writing is bad.  The dialogue is horrible and the story shows no real effort from the writer to give the audience anything fun and entertaining.  I have seen my fair share of "pregnant wife getting killed" revenge flicks and this one is by far the worst.  Finally, the action in this one is the worst part of the entire film if you can believe that.  The gun fire effects and CGI are bad.  Not The Asylum bad but damn near close to it.  The fight choreography was also bad making the fight scenes almost laughable.   Now, my biggest gripe is how this film tried to rival the last fight scene from the Patrick Swayze classic Road House.  This last fight mimics many actions showcased in that fine film including the iconic throat ripping kill.  Overall, Wild Justice is unoriginal and bad on every level.  If you like bad movies then please watch SyFy channel originals instead.  Stay away!











No comments:

Post a Comment