Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Killers (1996)




(out of 5)


Killers (1996)
directed by:  Mike Mendez
starring:  Dave Larsen, David Gunn, Damian Hoffer, Wendy Latta, Renee Cohen, Nanette Bianchi, Chad Sommers, Ivan Vertigo, Ellis Moore
format:  NTSC:  Region 2 and VHS


     This is one of my favorite films of all time.  I watch it every Christmas.  The whole idea of bad guys ending up stuck in a situation with more bad guys is a favorite for me ever since I saw the movie Rabid Dogs by Mario Bava.  Mike Mendez is absolutely one of my favorite directors of all time.  This, The Convent, Gravedancers, and Big Ass Spider!  are all quality films in their own right and also quite different.  Mendez does not have a distinct similar style other than being awesome.  Everyone of his films is different with Gravedancers being the most different because of the lack of comedy but hey it's on my "movies that scarred me" list.  Anywho back to Killers.

     We follow Kyle and Odessa James two men who murdered their parents on Christmas and recently escaped from jail.  The James brothers are kind of badass but as it is with being a badass there is always someone badder.  Even life's bullies get bullied and this is one of those movies that you quickly learn also that things are definitely no always what they seem.  The James brothers think they have stumbled upon a family of easy victims and as the movie progresses you learn very quickly this is not the case. 
     Along with various family surprises the house sits utop a dungeon full of crazed zombie-like beings who once the James boys get booby-trapped into the basement area get chased by these creatures.  well not Kyle he gets captured by one of these creatures it sort of falls in love with him.  This movie is crazy on so many levels.  The foul mouthed (at times very unnaturally) main cop played by Wendy Latta ends up joining Odessa as he makes his way through the labrynth of rooms and hallways in the basement dungeon. 


ENDING SPOILERS BELOW
     There are two endings I've seen for this film.  One Odessa leaves the house and is shot to death by a squad of police officers and SWAT outside.  The second Odessa leaves the house and is attacked by more cannibal creatures like the ones found in the dungeon including a neighbor.  I go back and forth with this.  I like the more normal ending if you will but at the same time the crazy twist ending lover in me loves the original ending or I guess what I assume is the original since it's the one on my uncut German edition.
     I can't recommend a movie higher if you're a fan of crazy ass shit.  Or a Mendez fan who has not seen his early effort.



No comments:

Post a Comment