Sunday, February 26, 2017

Night Has a Thousand Desires


Director - Jess Franco (Bloody Moon, Hellhole Women)
Starring - Lina Romay (Snakewoman, Helter Skelter), Daniel Katz (Oasis of the Zombies, Rest in Pieces), and Carmen Carrion (Black Candles, Alone Against Terror)
Release Date - 1984
Genre - Horror/Thriller
Format - BluRay (Personal Collection) (Screener)

 Rating (out of 5):

      My non-horror movie marathon continues.  After watching the comedy Jekyll and Hyde...Together Again and the sci-fi action film Counter Clockwise, I decided to sleaze it up a bit.  I decided that my next film would be Jess Franco's Night Has a Thousand Desires.  As most of you know, Jess Franco is hit or miss with me.  I want to enjoy his films but some lack substance.  The ones that I did not like felt like they were rushed, pieced together, and had no actual story.  They were sleazy but that was it.  Night Has a Thousand Desires was sent to me from my friends over at Mondo Macabro.  Thanks guys for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check it out.
     The film follows a night club performer who performs with her lover.  She also has the ability to read minds.  She receives a death threat and takes it very seriously but her lover pushes it off as a prank but when she begins to have dreams of death she is forced to visit a psychologist where she learns the murders were real.  Is she losing her mind or is she a bloodthirsty killer?
    


     I had no idea what this movie was about or how it would play out.  Honestly, the blu artwork gave me the giallo vibe, which in a way it kind of is, but the film did not go the distance.  It literally left me bored to tears and no amount of alcohol could save it.  The acting in this one is not bad.  The cast shows a lot of on screen experience and talent but their characters are not that well written.  They put a lot of dedication into their roles but the characters still fall flat.  Better writing and more direction would have went a very long way.  The story for this one is a sleazy fever dream that is a little hard to follow.  The film is very sleazy which is to be expected from Franco but the story is poorly written and painfully slow.  Finally, those of you wanting blood will find it here but it is bright red and gore is nowhere to be seen.  The effects for these kills are minimal which takes away from the overall effect.  Overall, Night Has a Thousand Desires was a big let down.  I really wanted to enjoy it but the film itself would not give me a chance.  I would recommend checking out one of the many other Mondo Macabro releases over this one.    



No comments:

Post a Comment