Friday, October 8, 2021

El Pico 2


Director - Eloy de la Iglesia (The Cannibal Man, No One Heard the Scream)
Starring - Jose Luis Manzano (El Pico, Navajeros), Fernando Guillen (Don Juan in Hell, Brain Drain), Andrea Albani (Sexual Desires, Mad Foxes)
Release Date - 1984
Genre - Crime/Drama
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     A few weeks ago I received the Eloy de la Iglesia Quinqui Collection from my friends over at Severin Films.  MVD sent it my way for review and I was really curious about the release.  Iglesia is one filmmaker I was not familiar with but Severin's release of The Cannibal Man made me a fan.  I knew the three films in the set were not horror titles but after watching The Cannibal Man I couldn't wait to see what sort of films he was bringing us.  I started the set with El Pico and it was one hell of a film that in seriously one of my top 10 favorite films now.  It's nothing short but phenomenal.  After spinning that it only made sense to check out the sequel El Pico 2.  
     The film follows Paco (Manzano) finds himself in jail after the murder of the drug dealer and the overdose of his friend.  His father is actively appealing his sentence.  While in prison Paco has made friends with a drug dealer who gets him addicted to heroin again.  However, when he leaves prison Paco finds himself doing things he normally wouldn't do for his fix.  Eventually his father gets him released from jail but is still addicted and finds himself robbing and stealing to support his habit.  His lifestyle eventually catches up with him resulting in the death of his father which proves to be the turning point of his life.
     El Pico was not what I was expecting and it's one that I can't stop thinking about even after I was done watching it.  However, El Pico 2 turns it up a notch and delivers another punch to the gut that I was not expecting.  The acting in this one is another example of perfect casting.  Manzano once again absolutely nails it as Paco.  His performance carries the film and I couldn't imagine it being as riveting if someone else took over the mantle.  The supporting cast is just as fantastic with everyone delivering a fantastic performance.  The story for this one picks up where the first film left off but dials it up to 11.  Each scenes takes you into the next while taking it a step higher.  Iglesia is one hell of a story teller and this is the story he should be remembered for.  Finally, we do get a little blood but if you are looking for a gory flick then you will be disappointed.  This one is focused on the characters and it delivers.  Overall, El Pico 2 is a fabulous film that shows you actions have consequences and just how far someone's life can spiral.  It's an amazing film that I can't recommend enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment