Thursday, October 7, 2021

El Pico


Director - Eloy de la Iglesia (The Cannibal Man, No One Heard the Scream)
Starring - Jose Luis Manzano (Navajeros, El Pico 2), Jose Manuel Cervino (The Last Circus, Cold Winter Sun), and Luis Iriondo (Bar-Cel-Ona, Gran Sol)
Release Date - 1983
Genre - Drama/Crime
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     For several years now I've spent my entire October binging as many horror titles as I can.  It's always been a fun experience but this year has been a bit unusual.  I guess with the pandemic still hindering some aspects of life we are given some non-genre titles as we approach Halloween. I don't mind it but it does slow my down from reviewing horror releases.  So far this month I've reviewed a sexploitation flick and now I'm given an opportunity to review three quinqui releases from Spanish director Eloy de la Iglesia that was kindly sent my way from my friends over at MVD and Severin Films.  The first film I get to check out is the 1983 crime drama El Pico starring the late Jose Luis Manzano.  I want to thank MVD and Severin for sending this over.
     The film follows Paco (Manzano) who is the son of the local civil guard.  His best friend Urko is the son of a famous politician and the two are addicted to heroine.  Their addiction eventually becomes so crippling that they rob their drug dealer at gun point where they accidentally kill him and his wife.  When they make off with the drugs they go on a binder leading to Urko's overdose.  This leads Paco to returning home and seeking help from his father.
      I had no idea what to expect from El Pico but I fucking loved it.  It was one hell of a film that I couldn't look away from.  It may not be the typical horror release that I would watch during my October binge but it was nothing short but amazing and I can't wait to dig into the sequel.  The acting in this one is absolutely amazing.  Manzano and Javier Garcia are fantastic together as the drug addled teens who make horrible decisions.  They carry the film and make it as enjoyable as it is.  Also, the supporting cast is absolutely amazing as well.  The characters are superbly written and the cast knocks it out of the park with their performances.  The story for this one is a deep look at the youth in the Spanish cities in the late 70s and early 80s which is where the sub-genre quinqui get their names.  It focused on drug use, violence, and clashing with authorities.  El Pico may not be one of the first films in quinqui but it really embodies what it meant to be one of those films.  We see the abusive civil guards, the liberal political party, the hatred to homosexuals, and the youth turning to drugs and other illegal reaches to have fun.  It's a riveting story that really pulled me in and I didn't want to look away.  It's a culturally significant film that is perfect for any fan of the genre.  Finally, the film has explicit use of drugs and needles checking the vein.  However, that is the only gruesome images we see.  Two gun shots are done off camera with light blood splatter but that is nothing memorable or enjoyable.  Overall, El Pico is a surprisingly amazing film that I can't recommend enough.  Please do yourself a favor and check this one out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment