Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Rape of Virgin Girls


Director - Francisco Cavalcanti (The Hour of Fear, Sexo Sexo)
Starring - Salvador Amaral (Desejo Violento, Mulheres Violentadas), Francisco Cavalcanti, and Suely Conti (Bacanal de Colegiais)
Release Date - 1983
Genre - Crime
Tagline - "Explicit!  Explicit!"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (Out of 5):


     Exploitation and drive-in quality action flicks where what got me into writing reviews.  I was collecting box sets of these releases on DVD when I was in high school and college and I wanted to talk about them in some form.  I had saw the videos reviews of mrparka and the blog Celluloid Terrors so I decided to start something along those lines.  I wasn't comfortable in front of the camera for the video reviews so I turned to written reviews.  Exploitation is still my love but my obsession for horror has always been greater.  That's why I'm always on cloud 9 when an exploitation film I had never seen before arrives for review.  A few weeks ago One 7 Films sent over The Devil in Maddalena and The Rape of Virgin Girls.  The title of the last one made me a bit uncomfortable but I was still curious about this Brazilian exploitation flick.
     The film follows a man who is hired by a group of perverted men to kidnap "virgins" so they can rape and murder them.  This scheme has went on for sometime with several dozen women being kidnapped and dumped in the woods.  A dry-cleaner's neighbor is abducted and when he finds evidence of the kidnapping on the dry cleaning of one of the thugs he sets out to stop them before they rape and murder others.
     The Rape of Virgin Girls, or Abuser of Virgin Girls and Violentadores de Meninas Virgens as it is known, is not the film I was expecting when I tossed it in.  The title, artwork, and tagline made me think this was going to be a roughie that would make me uneasy.  However, the movie was not that but was a solid Brazilian crime film with a lot of exploitation.  It was a solid watch and one I can see myself revisiting.  The acting in this one is laughable at times but the fact that the cast was so dedicated to their roles says a lot about their commitment.  The characters are painfully generic but the cast does the best with what they were given.  The story for this one takes some liberties and reaches in several instances that results in some funny moments that was obviously unintentional.  The "virgins" in the films are women in  their late 20s and early 30s who are clearly not virgins.  I read one review that suspected they were local sex works which makes it even funnier.  Also, the crime aspect is very far fetched but enjoyable.  Having a random dry-cleaner take on a sex trafficking ring with the help of the local authorities is funny to me as well.  I don't know why but I was laughing at this.  Humor aside, I did enjoy the crime angle with the sleaze thought it was not as sleazy as one would expect from the title.  Finally, the film has some blood and boobs but nothing that will stick with the viewer.  Hell, the nudity in this one is nothing grand and the blood isn't that appealing either.  Overall, Rape of Virgin Girls is not the wild and sexually charged exploitation flick I was expecting but I thoroughly 

No comments:

Post a Comment