Monday, October 4, 2021

The Addams Family 2


Director(s) - Greg Tiernan (The Addams Family, Sausage Party), Conrad Vernon (Shrek 2, Monsters vs. Aliens), and Laura Brousseau
Starring - Oscar Isaac (Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens, Annihilation), Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road, Monster), and Chloe Grace Moretz (Let Me In, Dark Shadows)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "Unhappy to see you again"
Format - Streaming (Amazon Prime)

Rating (out of 5):

     Being born in the mid-80s and raised in the 90s has granted me a unique opportunity to not only enjoy the greatest decade in history, the 80s, but I was also able to grow up during 90s which brought about it's own unique flair.  The 90s would be the rebirth of the iconic Addams Family.  I had watched the original live action series when I was little with my grandmother and the Hanna-Barbera animated series as well but the 90s would see three feature length films, an animated show, and a another live action show.  The Addams Family property was hot during the 90s and two of the three films are annually played during October for Halloween fans.  A few years back The Addams name was once again reborn and this time as an animated movie.  Though I wasn't much of a fan of this new outing for the family I would be lying if I didn't admit that I enjoyed watching it with my kids.  They finally had their own Addams Family movie to watch.  When a sequel was announced earlier this year I was equally as excited to watch it with them.  However, this outing was far more enjoyable than the first film.   
     The film follows the Addams family with Gomez (Isaac) and Morticia (Theron) as they find themselves feeling distanced from their daughter Wednesday (Moretz).  Gomez plans a family vacation traveling across the U.S. but a rich scientist suspects that Wednesday is actually his daughter that was switched at birth.  Wednesday, who already feels like the black sheep of the family, suspects he is right and runs away from her family in hopes of finding somewhere to belong only to discover that she was deceived from the very beginning with Gomez and Morticia actually being her parents.  
      The first animated Addams Family film just didn't work for me but I've already have so many different Addams Family films and television shows to enjoy.  This new film was for a whole new generation and my children absolutely loved it.  However, this follow up film was a lot more enjoyable and delivered that Addams Family macabre charm.  The voice acting in this one is just as good as the first film.  Oscar Isaac and Charlize Theron is fantastic as Gomez and Morticia.  Their voice fit the characters perfectly and make these iconic characters their own.  The same can be said for everyone else in the film.  I really enjoyed the casting they took on here.  It's not the same as versions I grew up with but it works for the film.  The story for this pits the family in a cross country adventure with their same morbid twists along a new menace that works.  I found myself actually enjoying this story and the characters more this go around.  With that being said, some of the scenes are a little dull and the humor doesn't really work on adults but the younger audience obviously enjoyed it.  Finally, the animation looks great.  It's a new spin on classic characters that still give them their iconic appearance but for modern fans.  Overall, The Addams Family 2 was a lot more fun than the first film but it still has plenty of room for improvement.  I liked it but I would still rather watch the 90s animated series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment