Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Devil in Maddalena


Director - Jerzy Kawalerowicz (Night Train, Mother Joan of Angels)
Starring - Lisa Gastoni (Sacred Heart, Invasion), Eric Woofe (A Challenge for Robin Hood, The Avengers), and Ivo Garrani (Black Sunday, The Slave)
Release Date - 1971
Genre - Drama/Romance
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):


     When I started writing reviews for Horror Society back in early 2013 I was excited to check out all the genre titles that would be coming my way.  For the most part I have not been disappointed in the wild horror and sci-fi flicks that show up for review almost daily.  However, sometimes I get in movies that I had never seen before or would even expect to review.  Case in point, a few weeks ago I received the 1971 romantic drama The Devil in Maddalena from director Jerzy Kawalerowicz and starring the beautiful Lisa Gastoni.  What caught my eye with this one was not the fact that it wasn't a horror film but it featured a score from the legendary composer Ennio Morricone.  I was extremely shocked by this and was very curious to see how this one would play out.  I want to think One 7 Films for sending this one over.  
      The film follows a beautiful young woman who is looking for someone to call her own but she soon falls in love with a handsome priest.  The two are unable to copulate due to his celibacy and this causes friction between the two while the priest questions if being in the priesthood is what he still wants to do.  
     I can already hear the comment section of this review blowing up by people crying about how it's not a horror movie.  However, I don't care.  One 7 was kind enough to send this one over for review and review it is what I'm going to do.  The acting in this one is solid.  The film has two characters that stand out while the rest of the cast blends into the background.  It's got some seriously great acting but a lot of the characters are dull.  The story for this one is a strict dramatic romance with nothing really redeeming for those of you looking for something along the lines of sleaze.  The artwork made me think this was going to be a fun sexploitation but that was not the case.  It was a solid romantic film that wasn't bad but not what I was expecting.  Hell, I enjoyed it and the score from Morricone made it fun.  Finally, the film has some blood, which was surprising, but it's nothing that will stand out for horror fans.  Overall, The Devil in Maddalena is not the movie you expect but it's not a bad movie.  I even recommend it but don't let the films artwork deceive you.  It's a straight forward romantic drama.  The blu looks good and as much as I think it's fun I still can't see a majority of you checking it out which is a damn shame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment