Saturday, October 2, 2021

Overboard


Director - Gary Marshall (The Flamingo Kid, Happy Days)
Starring - Goldie Hawn (Death Becomes Her, The First Wives Club), Kurt Russell (Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China), and Edward Herrmann (The Lost Boys, My Boyfriend's Back)
Release Date - 1987
Genre - Comedy/Romance
Tagline - "From opulence... to rags... to love" 
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I've been sent some seriously weird movies to review over the years.  I've reviewed movies about killer sock puppets, living placentas, killer supernatural turkeys, boobs with tentacles, and demons with penises on their heads.  This has been a wild ride for sure and every day it gets even stranger.  A few weeks back Severin broke the movie collector groups on Facebook when they announced that they would be releasing the 1987 romantic comedy Overboard on blu.  Some fans were genuinely excited to check out this release but some of those that were neglected as kids were a bit butthurt about the entire ordeal.  A few days passed and I received the film in to review.  It was strange to get in to review but I was very excited to revisit this one from my childhood.  Thanks Severin and MVD for hooking me up!
     The film follows the hard working Dean (Russell) who is contracted to remodel the extremely wealthy Joanna's (Hawn) closet on her yacht.  Dean does the best with what he was given but she was not satisfied with his work and refused to pay him.  A few days later she has an accident and falls off the yacht where she is rescued the next day with amnesia.  Her husband refuses to claim her and news of her being picked up made national television where Dean sees her.  He decides to claim her and convince her she is his wife so he can torment her.  Things go exactly as Dean suspected where Joanna is tossed into a household that is below working class and stripped of her luxurious life.  However, she soon adapts to it and becomes a great mother to his four boys resulting in the truth eventually coming out about who she really was.  
     Overboard may not be a movie that I would typically interview but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy myself here.  Overboard is a movie I had seen several times growing up but I never really took the time to actually watch it.  It is a really fun romantic comedy that doesn't really get sappy like other films in the same category.  I enjoyed it but I can already hear the "why is this on a horror site" comments ringing out once this is posted.  The acting in this one is great.  Kurt Russell never disappoints and this seems like he was genuinely having fun on set.  His character speaks to a lot of viewers and I found myself really connecting with him at times.  I can't say I've seen a lot of Goldie's films but this one is the most iconic for her at least for me it is.  She delivers a fantastic performance that is very layered.  During the first portion of the film she really makes you hate her but as the film progresses you find yourself loving her character.  That is a great sign of a fantastic actor.  The story for this one is a lot of fun.  It's got some seriously funny moments and as you become invested with the characters you find yourself really getting pulled in.  Character development is critically important with this film and the cast is what makes it so iconic.  The film has perfect pacing and every scene fits the film.  Finally, this one isn't a bloody mess.  However, is witty comedy and light romance is your thing then you are in luck.  Overall, Overboard may not be what you would expect from Severin but it's a fantastic release that 80s cinema fans should really check out.  I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment