Saturday, April 30, 2022

Hybrid Hazards


Director - Alexis Ramirez (Were-Creature, Werewolves of Stayville)
Starring - Julia Davo (Were-Creature Chronicles, Oscar's), Stephanie Falciano (No Shark, Mute), and Jesse Choy (Were-Creature Chronicles)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     It's been sometime now since my last short review and I'm very much looking forward to it.  When done effectively, a short can be a seriously enjoyable experience.  I love watching a new short especially one that makes great use of it's run time.  A week or so ago I was contacted to check out the short Hybrid Hazards when I was sent the press release by email.  It was from director Alexis Ramirez and after watching the teaser for it I was on board.  I reached out and Ramirez was kind enough to send over a link to check it out.  I want to thank director Alexis Ramirez for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check out their hard work!
     The film follows a young woman in a rock band who brings her friends back to her mother's business/building when things take a dark turn for the young men accompanying her.  
     Hybrid Hazards is not the kind of short that will be making waves at festivals or quickly gathering a following in horror circles but it was a well put together short with a simple story.  I enjoyed it but I can see it splitting some genre fans with it's lack of originality and simplicity.  The acting in this one is fairly decent.  The cast has limited experience but they very comfortable in front of the camera and are fully dedicated to their roles.  The characters are written for the film so they don't really stand out but they don't take away from the film either.  The story for this one reminds me a lot of the Creepshow holiday special where we see were-people transforming and killing people in their space.  It's simple and straight to the point.  I do feel like some character development and backstories for them would have made this one so much more enjoyable.  Finally, the film has some enjoyable make-up and a little of blood but that's the extent of it.  The creature make-up doesn't look bad but it reminds me a lot of the face paint kids get at fairs and festivals.  It doesn't really stand out but it fits the short and it's budget.  Overall, Hybrid Hazards is a solid watch but the story is lacking a little meat on the bone so to speak.  I liked the idea behind it but a little more insight into the characters and their stories would have went a long way.  If you have a few minutes to kill I would highly recommend checking this one out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment