Saturday, April 30, 2022

Veronica: Skeletons in the Closet


Director - Dylan A. Young (Something in the Woods, Better Safe Than Sorry)
Starring - Chloe Howcroft (Warpaint, Note to Self), Brad Belemjian (Ouija Craft, Death Ranch), and Emily Parker 
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I've befriended so many indie filmmakers over the years.  So many, in fact, that I often discover posts on Facebook from people I've known on social media for years that I had no idea were actually filmmakers.  Social media is a great way to network but platforms like Facebook are horrible for showing you posts from the same people while others go hidden.  A week or so ago I was browsing Facebook when I saw a post from Dylan Young.  I've been friends with him on Facebook and followed him on Instagram for some time but I had never seen posts about his films until now.  I commented on it and before long a link to his short Veronica: Skeletons in the Closet was in my inbox.  I want to thank Dylan for sending this one over because I absolutely loved it.
     When Veronica's night takes an unexpected turn, she's left to deal with the consequences of someone else's actions.
     Veronica: Skeletons in the Closet was not what I was expecting and was a damn fine horror short.  It could use a little beefing up in the story department but the overall short, which runs around nine minutes, is well worth your time if you are ever given a chance to check it out. The acting in this one fits the film very well but the story and short run doesn't give the cast a great chance to show what they are fully capable of.  That is one of the biggest draw backs of a short.  In some instances the cast doesn't have enough time to deliver memorable performances.  The story for this one is fun but I feel like there is more that could be told.  I liked the concept of the film with the young girl finding a "purpose" after something horrific was done to her but I think the idea could be so much more than a nine minute short.  Maybe Dylan will expand it in a sequel or a feature length film in the future?  Finally, the film has some blood and light gore which I was not expecting.  The practical effects look great but the way they were delivered could have been done in a different manner to leave a great impact on the short.  Overall, Veronica: Skeletons in the Closet was a fantastic short.  I know I was a little hard on it but that is because I know it could be so much more.  Dylan shows a lot of promise as a filmmaker and is fully capable of unleashing hell on viewers.  If you ever have a chance to check this one out I highly suggest you do so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment