Monday, April 11, 2022

Nothing Underneath


Director - Carlo Vanzina (The Gamble, Millions)
Starring - Tom Schanley (Dexter, Charmed), Renee Simonsen (Via Montenapoleone), and Donald Pleasence (Halloween, Prince of Darkness)
Release Date - 1985
Genre - Thriller/Mystery
Tagline - "Chasing fame is murder"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     Vinegar Syndrome continues to impress me with their releases.  Their partner labels are mostly entertaining but every month I look forward to the actual Vin Syn releases.  They rarely release a movie I had previously seen and most of the ones they bring to my attention are usually a ton of fun.  You never know what they are going to release to fans and each month is greeted with excitement from collectors.  A few months ago Vin Syn announced the Nothing Underneath and Too Beautiful to Die double feature on blu and I was very curious about it.  I had never heard of these two films and was curious about them.  I heard other movie fans call them Body Double clones but that doesn't really bother me because I had never seen Body Double.  I snagged a copy but never had the time to check it out until recently.  After watching a few of their partner label releases I decided to turn that into a Vin Syn marathon starting with this double feature.  
     The film follows a forest ranger from the US who travels to Italy in search for his twin sister after he has a feeling that something bad had happened to her.  She traveled to Italy in hopes of hitting it big as a model and once he arrives he discovers that she has vanished.  He befriends another female model as he searches for his sister and uncovers a string of model's deaths at the hands of a scissor wielding maniac that is closing to him than he would like.
     As I stated earlier, I had never seen Body Double before so I had no preconceived notions of what this was prior to checking it out.  With that being said, I really enjoyed this one.  It was a little cliched with one dimensional characters but it was still fun.  The acting in this one is not bad but the characters are flat and often blend into the scene.  I did like Tom Schanley and Donald Pleasence but the story is the main focus here and not the cast which is a bit of a shame because both did fantastic jobs.  The story for this one is a murder mystery with a bit of a twist with the twin connection.  Using the connection that is said to be between twins as the basis for this murder mystery set against the back drop of professional modeling actually works for the most part.  It does drag it's feet from time to time but the killer reveal is worth it.  I don't see myself revisiting this one again but I did like it.  Finally, the film has some bloody moments and one scene with some awesome make-up effects but that's the extent of it.  The movie focuses more on the story than the body count which is a bit of a shame because it could have delivered on both and kept it's integrity.  Overall, Nothing Underneath is a solid watch especially if you grew up watching the late night thrillers that usually played on HBO and Cinemax during the late and early 90s before the softcore stuff came on.  It's worth a watch so check it out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment