Monday, April 11, 2022

Shit & Champagne


Director - D'Arcy Drollinger
Starring - D'Arcy Drollinger, Matthew Martin (I Want to Get Married, The Fairy Tale), and Seton Brown (The Tragedy of Sal, Charley V)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Comedy/Crime
Tagline - "She'll make you scream and shout for more..."
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):



     The Vinegar Syndrome partner label releases has brought some seriously underrated heat to our attention.  Movies that I had never heard of before are now getting thrown into the spotlight for horror and exploitation fans.  Several months ago I saw that one of the partner label releases was the comedy Shit and Champagne.  My John Waters and To Wong Foo loving ass was ready for this one.  I quickly added it to my cart with the other releases I needed but I was unable to spin it right away.  After watching AGFA's Boardinghouse and Sally and Jess I decided it was time to check it out.  I'm glad I did because I fucking loved it.  
     The film follows Champagne (Drollinger) who finds herself in the middle of a corporate conspiracy when her "fiance" and sister are murdered by goons of Dixie Stampede (Martin) who owns Mall Wart. Through Mall Wart she uses her top employees as prostitutes to the rich and famous.  It's up to Champagne and Detective Hammer (Brown) to stop them before more innocent people fall prey to Dixie's prostitution ring.
     Shit and Champagne was everything I hoped it would be and then some.  It's funny, the story is solid and easy to follow, and the characters are absolutely fantastic.  I had a lot of fun with it and can see myself revisiting it several more times and never tiring of it.  The acting in this one is so much fun.  Director and star Drollinger carries the film as the ass-kicking clueless dancer taking on a multi-million dollar business after her family is caught in the middle of their underground prostitution ring.  I can see her in so many other mis-adventures and Drollinger did a fantastic job.  The supporting cast is just as much fun.  Hell, anyone could have a standalone film under their name.  The characters are beautifully written and the cast does one hell of a job bringing them all to life.  The story for this one is pretty much a parody of the action crime films of the 80s with a drag twist.  It's colorful, comical, and a lot of fun.  The dialogue is the highlight of this film and the humor finds it's mark almost every time.  It's To Wong Foo and Trashology meets films like The Miami Connection and New York Ninja and I'm all for it.  It's such a fun ride that is not as predictable as you would think it would be.  Finally, don't expect a blood bath.  It's a hilarious parody of action films with some cheesy visuals but no blood and gore for those of you here with a taste for the red stuff.  Overall, Shit and Champagne is a must see for fans of cult cinema and drag culture.  It's a lot of fun and one that I can't recommend enough.  Do yourself a favor and check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment