Thursday, April 28, 2022

Mysteries



Director - Paul de Lussanet (Dear Boys, Alle Dagen Feest)
Starring - Rutger Hauer (Hobo with a Shotgun, Blind Fury), Sylvia Kristel (Emmanuelle, Dracula's Widow), and David Rappaport (Amazing Stories, The Bride)
Release Date - 1978
Genre - Drama/Mystery
Tagline - "The romance.  The ecstasy.  The passion"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     When I originally saw the announcement for Cult Epics release of Sylvia Kristel 1970's Collection I was seriously interested in 1978's Mysteries starring Kristel and Rutger Hauer.  I've reviewed several films starring Hauer over the years but this was one I was very interested in.  The film was based on Knut Hamsun's novel and was surprisingly well received when it was originally released.  I don't think I had seen a Hauer film from the 70s so as soon as I finished Julia I was ready to toss in this drama.  Like always, I would like thank Cult Epics for sending this one over.
     The film follows a wealthy visitor to a small coastal town where he makes a name for himself by being mysterious.  He befriends a little man nicknamed Midget and before long becomes involved with two women but who is the man and why does he act so strangely?
     Mysteries is not the type of movie many of us would expect me to review for Horror Society.  However, it's exactly the type of film that I wanted to review when I started this journey a decade ago.  I wanted to review movies that were lost to time and Mysteries is just one of those films.  I appreciate that Cult Epics took the chance with this one and included it in their set because it was a lot of fun.  The acting in this one is fantastic.  Sadly, Kristel was not the star of the show with Hauer and Rappaport taking front and center.  She is in the film quit a bit but this is a vehicle for Hauer and he makes good use of his screen time.  It was strange seeing how young he was here and he still does a fantastic job.  The supporting cast is great as well but it's Hauer that pulls the viewer in.  The story for this one is well paced and put together but it does take a minute to get the ball rolling.  Once it picks up you find yourself pulled in and wondering what will happen next.  It's not predictable but once you've seen it you know exactly what to look for during your second viewing which does take away from it's replay value.  Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and how it progressed.  It wasn't over complicated or too long.  It fit the run time perfectly.  Finally, don't expect a body count with this one.  It's a drama that looks like it was made for television with no blood or carnage. Overall, Mysteries will draw hate from many of you that read my reviews but for those of you looking for a drama will enjoy this one very much so.  It's a great film.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment