Friday, April 1, 2022

The Last Matinee


Director - Maximiliano Contenti (Neptunia, Fruit Stars)
Starring - Ricardo Islas (Zombie Farm, Night Fangs), Luciana Grasso (Harpoon, Terror 5), and Franco Duran (Lov3)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "No talking.  No texting.  No breathing"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     Several months ago I started receiving press releases for the slasher film The Last Matinee that starred indie filmmaker Ricardo Islas as the film's killer.  I was familiar with Islas' films prior to this so I was very curious to see him star in a slasher.  As the weeks passed I honestly forgot about the film until Vinegar Syndrome announced the release from one of their partner labels.  I loved the look of the trailer and the poster honestly sold me on it so I was quick to order a copy.  After watching Saturn's Core release of Shatter Dead I decided to go ahead and throw this one in.
     The film follows a group of movie goers who visit an old theater for a late night viewing of a horror film.  However, the theater is being stalked by a madman who with a knack for collecting his victims eyes.
     I was really looking forward to The Last Matinee especially after seeing so many genre fans praising it.  I liked it but it was very much a mediocre slasher void of story and filled with fantastic kills and effects.  The acting in this is very well done.  We get a bunch of characters with personalities that stand out and the cast does a fantastic in their role.  I loved the characters and how some added some much needed laughs to the film during the more slower scenes.  The characters were better written than the story which gives the cast something to work with.  I enjoyed the cast and now I'm seriously looking into other genre films that they have appeared in.  With that being said, I was seriously impressed by Ricardo Islas as the film's slasher.  If his character had a distinguishable look about him I could see it becoming another horror icon.  However, the fact that his character reminded viewers of the killer from I Know What You Said Last Summer.  Maybe having a killer with a memorable look would have went a long way especially considering how strong the performance was here.  The story for this one is pretty much non-existent but it has just enough to get the viewer through to the death scenes.  The film's premise is people in a theater as a killer stalks them for their eyes.  Nothing more simpler or straight to the point.  However, it would have been far more enjoyable if it was a short instead of a feature length film.  I've seen more mediocre slashers in the last five years and this is one of them.  It's not a bad experience but it has no replay value and the actual lack of story makes it dull at times.  The characters do pick up some slack but they can't carry the film on it's back the entire time.  Finally, the film has some seriously amazing practical effects.  The deaths are great and the gory deaths make the film what it is.  I was seriously impressed by this and one of the few reasons I would recommend this film.  Overall, The Last Matinee is a middle of the road slasher with a great cast and amazing effects but the lack of story does make it easily forgettable.  It's worth at least one watch but don't expect a slasher that will stick with you.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment