Thursday, April 28, 2022

Julia



Director - Sigi Rothemund (Summer Night Fever, The Old Fox)
Starring - Jean-Claude Bouillon (A Family Secret, The Hitchhiker), Sylvia Kristel (Dracula's Widow, Emmanuelle), and Teri Tordai (Caligula, House of Pleasure)
Release Date - 1974
Genre - Drama
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     My knowledge of 70s cinema is very limited but in recent years I've found myself becoming more and more open to them after falling in love with boutique labels like Vinegar Syndrome, Impulse Pictures, and Severin Films just to name a few.  Since then I've found myself more open to 70s cinema especially exploitation films.  Sometime back Cult Epics announced the release of Sylvia Kristel 1970's Collection on blu.  The four films in the set are all films I had never seen before so I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  I decided to start with the 1974 sexploitation film Julia.  Like always, I want to thank Cult Epics for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check this set out.  
     The film follows a young man who is boarding a train when he spots a beautiful young woman.  He tries his luck with her but goes nowhere when she leaves him to have sex with someone else.  Later, he is picked up by his father at the train station and his father also picks up the beautiful young woman.  They go to his home and more sexual tension and adventures follow.
     I've been a fan of sexploitation for a few years now but my knowledge of them is very limited.  However, it is something that I want to continue to watch and enjoy and I have companies like Cult Epics, Vinegar Syndrome, and Impulse Pictures to help me along on this journey.  Julia is not one I had heard about prior to CE's announcement but it was one of two films in the set that caught my eye.  I was looking forward to another sexploitation film starring Kristel and it did not disappoint.  The acting in this one is solid and among the top tier in regards to sexploitation films.  The characters are fairly generic but the cast delivers some decent performances.  Some of the cast, Kristel include, delivers great performances while the rest of the cast delivers a decent enough performance.  The lack of character development does make it a bit disappointing but nothing that takes away from the overall film.  The story for this one is pretty straight forward and simple.  It's fun for a first time watch with no over thinking or complicated plot devices.  It's sexy and entertaining but has no replay value.  Finally, no blood in this one.  However, if you are in the market for some skin then this film will not disappoint.  Overall, Julia is not going to be for everyone but if you like sexy exploitation films then I highly recommend it.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment