Wednesday, June 19, 2013

All American Horror: Gateways to Hell

Director - William Burke (Legend of the Goatman: Horrifying Monsters, Cryptids and Ghosts)
Release Date - 2013
Genre- Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I mentioned before in my interview with C.R.P.I. that I don't hold much stock in the paranormal or find it interesting.  This is strange because the television show Supernatural is one of all time favorite shows.  Hell, I even have a devil's trap tattooed on my leg.  I find the show to be amazing, however, most paranormal and ghost hunting shows are boring with socially awkward men and women sitting in dark rooms freaking out when they hear the foundation settling.  I received this screener, two copies of it actually, recently and had no idea what it was about.  I assumed it was a movie but that changed when I threw it in and discovered it was a type of documentary.  I am a sucker for documentaries and went in to it with an open mind.
     The documentary explores various locations that are supposedly haunted.  Those locations featured are the devil's stairs, a location in West Virginia (Go 'Eers!), a haunted gate, and a house built where lynchings once took place.  The documentary features interviews with those that live in those locations and tour guides that often witness things out of the ordinary like visions, EMP, and even hostile specters.
 
     Reality Entertainment should really stick to documentaries like this because I feel they honestly have a knack for it.  I honestly thought this movie would be pure shit but I really liked it.  I don't know if it was the content or the time of night but it gave me chills at times.  I rarely get that anymore so when I do I chalk it up to the film having something special when most do not.  The interviews were very insightful and helped shed a lot of light on a subject I know very little about.  The re-enactments were hit and miss.  Some added more insight and spooky atmosphere while others were just poorly filmed and seem thrown together.  If the re-enactments were more consistent then the film would have been a lot better.  Finally, the editing and production value is fairly decent creating an overall great look and flow of the documentary.  Overall, this is a great look in to the supernatural with some genuinely creepy moments.  I highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment