Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Good Burger


Director - Brian Robbins (Birds of Prey, All That)
Starring - Kel Mitchell (Mystery Men), Kenan Thompson (Stan Helsing), and Shar Jackson (Slaughterhouse High)
Release Date - 1997
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "A comedy with everything on it"
Format - VHS (Personal Collection) (Stills from youtube)

Rating (out of 5):
    
     When I was in elementary school everyone wanted to see this movie.  Those that had cool parents were able to go to the theaters to see it and was bragging about it at school the next day.  Those that know me and my family know there was no way in hell my Dad would take me to a theater.  I had to wait on the VHS to be released.  Dad was nice enough to take me to K-Mart when it was released and I grabbed myself a copy of it.  I watched it a lot when I first got it but it started to get old and was placed on the shelf to gather dust.  After moving to my new house I re-discovered this film from my youth and decided it was worth writing about.  A lot of people enjoyed this one when it came out but forgot about it with time.
     The film follows two Good Burger employees, Ed and Dexter, who work at the fast food restaurant for different reasons.  Ed loves his job and could not see himself working anywhere else.  Dexter, on the other hand, is only working at Good Burger for the summer because he stole his mother's car and wrecked it into his teacher's new car and is using the money to fix both cars.  The small burger joint faces hard times and possibly closing the door permanently when a giant burger chain opens just across the street.  Ed creates a special sauce that revitalizes Good Burger and helps them compete with the bigger chain.  The men behind their competition, Mondo Burger, kidnap Ed and Dexter and send them to an insane asylum when they discover Mondo Burger is using chemicals to make their burgers bigger.  The pair have to escape from the asylum and expose Mondo Burger before it is too late.
     When I finally watched this movie after all these years I realized that this movie was great for children and adults a like.  Sure, it is a comedy nothing like Superbad, Pineapple Express, and Anchorman but it still entertains.  The film is filled with down to earth humor instead of raunchy jokes (don't get me wrong, I fucking love "adult jokes").  The acting is what you would expect from a high caliber Nickelodeon flick.  Sinbad was funny and I really enjoy him in almost all the films I have seen him in.  The story is great and entertain children and adults alike.  The film builds tension and suspense in just the right spots that makes it fun for children while combining humor to keep the older audience watching.  Overall, this is a film that knows no age group and stands the test of time.  I highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment