Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Giant Rubber Monster Movie: Sascratch vs. Afrodesious


Director - Thomas Berdinski (The Italian Zombie Movie)
Starring - Jeffrey S. Bromley (The Italian Zombie Movie), Brendan Bromley, and Carmela Hayslett (Blood Slaughter Massacre)
Release Date - 2011
Genre - Comedy/Horror/Sci-Fi
Tagline - "In the grand tradition of Space Giants, Ultraman, Johnny Sokko's Flying Robot and Dexter?"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     After I watched The Italian Zombie Movie I realized that director Thomas Berdinski is a fan or cinema long since dead. His zombie film was nothing like the piles of garbage that has been released lately after The Walking Dead craze.  His film was a true homage/parody of a time when zombie films were great.  I reached out to Thomas to see what other films he had released and he told me about this one and Noirmageddon: A Mark Anvil Thriller.  I grew up watching some of the Godzilla and Gamera films with my grandmother so I was excited to see where Berdinski would take his film.  He was nice enough to supply me with copies of both films and I would like to thank him for that.
     The film begins in the future where mankind has ate all the edible animals and scientists have built a time machine to go back in time and gather more meat.  However, an evil vegetarian steals the craft and plans on returning to present day Earth with his monsters and destroying all the world's meat supply.  A ten year old boy (he is 10 not 8 you asshole) steals a ride back to present day in hopes of helping today's society stop the evil herbahuman.  He teams up with a former military personnel and together they conclude that in order to prevent the vegetarian from destroying the world with his monstrous creations is to destroy his family line before he is ever born.  While the ex-military man destroys his family line, the young boy unleashes his bigfoot monster, Sascratch, to destroy the evil vegetarian's beast, Afrodesious.
     After I watched The Italian Zombie Movie I had a lot of respect for Berdinski and what he was trying to do for the genre.  After I watched this one I gained even more respect for him but I realized that he is completely bat shit crazy.  This movie is so over-the-top that I honestly wish I was drinking so I could have enjoyed it even more than what I did. The acting is not the best and on the same level TIZM.  Not the worst I have seen in indie horror but very far from the best.  The story is pure insanity manifested on to film.  Berdinski is a true genius that is trying to resurrect a modern movement of films inspired by those from long ago.  He is truly a director that I respect and await for his next release.  Finally, the film does offer some on screen deaths and special effects.  The on screen deaths are nothing spectacular nor amazing and the same could be said about the CGI.  What the film lacks in special effects and deaths is more than made up for with humor and originality.  Overall, this is a fun film that has to be seen to be believed.  I highly recommend it.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment