Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mold!


Director - Neil Meshino (T'was the Night)
Starring - Ardis Campbell (Man on Wire), Rick Haymes (Cold Blue Eternal), and Edward X. Young (Mr. Hush, Sheriff Tom vs The Zombies)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Comedy/Sci-Fi
Tagline(s) - "It Will Grow On You" "You Breathe. You Die." and "This isn't science ... it's MURDER"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      In earlier posts I have mentioned how tight knit the indie horror community and once again I really want to reiterate that.  Indie horror directors, actors, and so forth are true fans of the genre and truly have a passion for it.  Therefore, when they discover another genre director is releasing a genre film they often spread the word to help that person out.  That is how I came across this little gem here.  A few directors that I have became acquainted with shared this film on Facebook for a few weeks now.  I looked around for it to buy but I always got sidetracked by other films I wanted to add to my collection.  Recently, Richard Griffin finished the film Exhumed.  I am a huge fan of Griffin and asked him how I could get a copy.  He told me Wild Eye Releasing was behind the release and that I would have to contact them.  I reached out to the Facebook page and asked them how I could get a copy to review.  They got my address and a few days later a huge package showed up with close to 20 films to review in it.  Mold! just happened to be one of the films in the box.  Lucky me!
     The film takes place in 1984 and scientists have created a lethal mold that can be used as a weapon in the war on drugs.  The mold was made to end the new war on "smokeable cocaine."  However, it also thrives in wet climates and feasts on flesh.  The head of the project invites everyone involved to a demonstration and plans on releasing the mold agent to kill everyone involved with the project.  The group is barricaded in the building with snipers lined all around the outside in case they can get out.  The group has to avoid exposure to the mold while dealing with a traitor and a maniac that has been exposed to the mold and it has affected his mind. 
     I am a little pissed I waited this long to see this amazing movie.  I heard a lot of good things about this film but I wanted to check it out myself.  This film was inspired by 80's cheesy cinema but I see even more inspiration drew from 50 and 60's sci-fi films.  Either way the film was executed perfectly and is the perfect mash-up between horror and sci-fi.  The acting is mediocre at best by some of the cast while others do a great job at portraying their characters.  Some of the cast did show talent but they need more experience to build the skill.  The story is nothing original and reminded me a lot of the film Thaw starring Val Kilmer.  The only difference between the two is that director Meshino knew what the hell he was doing and made a movie horror fans wanted to see.  Finally, those looking for great special effects and on screen kills will have there fill here.  The film is filled with blood, guts, and other fluids that will leave even the most gore hungry fans disgusted.  Overall, this one is sticky with blood and goo but one hell of a good time.  I highly recommend it.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment