Saturday, June 15, 2013

Chairman of the Board


Director - Alex Zamm (Monsters)
Starring - Carrot Top (Dennis the Menace Strikes Again!), Courtney Thorne-Smith (Two and a Half Men), and Larry Miller (Tim and Eric Great Show, Awesome Job)
Release Date - 1998
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "Work suck!"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (our of 5):
     For a brief period when I was in middle school my dad ordered HBO, Skinemax, and The Movie Channel for a few months so he could watch some of the boxing matches that aired on HBO.  One evening I watched Spawn for the first time and fell in love with it.  I was literally in awe after watching it.  When it went off I ran to the bathroom to piss and when I came back the next movie to play was Chairman of the Board.  I figured what the hell and watched it.  A few years later I found a shitty VHS copy at a yard sale and grabbed it.  After a few hundred viewings the VHS fell a part and I threw it away and the film faded from memory.  A few weeks back I was watching tv with my wife and a commercial starring Carrot Top aired and I instantly remembered this movie.  I did my usual routine and headed to amazon.com where I found it dirt cheap.
     Edison (Carrot Top) is a slacker with big dreams of making it big with his inventions and spending the money doing nothing and surfing (even though surfing still counts as something).  He lives with two other surfer slackers and forgot to pay his portion of the rent.  He heads out to surf and clear his mind when he finds an older gentlemen broke down on the side of the road.  He uses his inventions to fix the man's car and discovers that the older man is also a surfer.  The two head out for the evening and enjoy the surf.  The pair spark up a bond before splitting ways.  Later, Edison is saddened when he learns of the older man's passing and is requested to be present at the reading of his will.  While at the reading he is informed that he is now the CEO of the company the older man was owner of.  Edison is now able to work on his inventions but is screwed out of the company by the slimy relative of the older man who lied to get Edison's position.  Edison has to use his inventions and the friends he has made along the way to get the company back and to pay his portion of the rent.
     This is one of the rare occurrences that I actually liked a movie less than what I remembered.  I watched this enough to be able to quote it in certain spots back when I had the VHS so that is saying something.  However, after this viewing I realized I liked it but not like I once did.  The acting is good even by Carrot Top.  A film with this kind of budget often has actors and actresses with talent in front of the camera.  The story is fun and flows very well on camera.  It offers up a lot of humor that make me laugh regardless of how many times I watch it.  Sadly, the film has a lot of dry spots that makes the film hard to follow.  Overall, this is a great family comedy that offers up some quality laughs.  Unfortunately, it does not stand the test of time that well.  I highly recommend it.



  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment