Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Filthy McNasty


Director - Chris Seaver (Mulva: Zombie Ass Kicker!)
Starring - Debbie Rochon (Exhumed), Miss Kitty, and Tim Ekkebus (Filthy McNastier: Maximum Dousche)
Release Date - 2002
Genre- Horror/Comedy
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Ghoul School 4 Film Set)

Rating (out of 5):
     Cult films often consist of films that are so bad they are good.  They typically due extremely poorly in the box office or are released independently but gather a dedicated fan base over time.  These films may not be well known to the everyday movie goer but hardcore genre fans may have at least heard of the movie.  The film Filthy McNasty was in a box set I grabbed for around $3 with Ghoul School, Mulva: Zombie Ass Kicker, and an indie film documentary.  I had never heard of the film before and after I watched it I was shocked that I actually liked it.  I searched around and found a few reviews for the film.  Almost every one of those reviews called this film a cult classic.  The fact that I had never heard of the film, my friends that love horror had never heard of the film, and only 5 or 6 sites reviewed the film makes me think that the term "cult classic" may not apply to this film.   I honestly don't know why I started this review that way but I just think the term "cult classic" is overused for films that may have an underground following but are not an actually cult film.
     The film follows two nerdy hot girls that want to be cool.  The two girls want to fit in with the popular crowd and turn to their goth friend.  He turns them on to the demon Filthy McNasty, or Phil as he prefers to be called, who grants them their wish.  The girls are now super foxy but Phil is able to roam free.  The girls go to a party the popular crowd is having and Phil follows killing everyone with explicit sexual acts.  However, not all hope is lost when the Don King/Bill Cosby inspired character, Bonejack, arrives to kick supernatural ass!

     I was honestly surprised by this film.  When I put this in my DVD player I was ready to give this one a bad review. When movies are unknown and obscure they tend to be on the bad side.  Good movies tend to get attention by word of mouth so I took that as a sign that this one sucked.  However, this movie made me laugh a few times and I could not look away.  That does not mean this is the perfect indie film but it was pretty damn good.  The acting sucked except by those wearing masks.  The two beautiful, and I mean beautiful, young ladies pretending to be nerds tried way too hard and made their scenes uncomfortable to watch.  However, once they turn in to their hottie versions the acting changes tides and they do a great job.  The story is more or less the same as Faust.  Nothing new with this story but it does play on typical horror cliches.  I actually laughed the hardest when they played the cliche of older actors playing high school characters.  They actually had a noticeably older gentlemen, who I think is the director or producer, play a high school student.  I honestly laughed at that.  Also, Bonejack is easily one of the greatest characters to ever grace cinema.  I discovered this character is in a number of films so expect reviews for them to pop in the future.  Finally, the film offers a few on screen deaths but they do not look that great.  However, the demon, Phil, looks fucking great.  I really liked the way he looked.  This was a great example of indie horror providing very amazing special effects.  Overall, this is a relatively unknown film that offers some great entertainment.  I highly recommend it.





No comments:

Post a Comment