Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Slumber Party Massacre III


Director - Sally Mattison (Bloodfist)
Starring - Brandi Burkett (Liar Liar), Hope Marie Carlton (A Nightmare on Elm St. 4: The Dream Master), and Keely Christian (Married with Children)
Release Date - 1990
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "It's Driller Time... And This Bits For You"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Slumber Party Massacre I, II, and III Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
      Trilogies often come under fire because they start out with a bang and go out with a dud.  I can name many trilogies or series where I really enjoy the third installment but I can name way more where anything after the second sucks.  Anyway, I love to buy box sets.  There is just something special about throwing a series of DVDs inside of a cardboard sleeve and placing it on my DVD shelves.  I feel complete as a collector when I put an entire series on my shelves.  However, I will hardly watch an entire series because deep down I know that anything after the second sucks.  I often wonder how a film can gather so much momentum after releasing a shitty film.  Anyway, after watching The Slumber Party Massacre II I had to finish the trilogy and went ahead and threw in the third film.  I did not have high hopes for the film but I was curious. 
     Just like the first film, this one follows a group of young girls as they have a sleepover while their parents are away. The girls plan on getting drunk and dancing topless, that is until a group of horny guys break up the party trying to dip their mushroom tips in to their sugar walls.  While everyone is running around topless and trying to get it on, one of their own is killing them off one by one using a drill similar to the first film.  The killer is eventually revealed to the group and why he is killing.  His uncle was a cop that committed suicide recently and his death sparked the young man's killing spree.
  
     I knew this film would not amount to anything and I was right. This movie did not have the look at feel of the first two films but it did bring the nudity back.  Sadly, not even a good set of boobs could save this.  The acting is the worst out of the trilogy and most scenes I was laughing at how uncomfortable the actors seemed to be on screen.  Most of them had acting credits so I have no idea why they seemed so unorganized.  I personally would have liked the film a lot more if the cast would have put forth more of an effort.  The story is exactly the same as the other two but with a small change.  The obvious change is the killer freaking out because his uncle took the easy way out.  Unlike the other two, this film fails to deliver anything entertaining really and the only reason this one should be watched it to complete the series.  Finally, the on screen kills are pretty straight forward and similar to the first film.  The only big difference between the two is that the special effects in this one is barely watchable.  They are done in such a way that we only see them for a split second and then they are gone.  Overall, this film had the same chance as the other two films in the series had but failed on so many levels.  Only watch this if you want to finish the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment