Sunday, July 21, 2013

Legend of the Goatman: Horrifying Monsters, Cryptids, and Ghosts


Director - William Burke (All American Horror: Gateways to Hell)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     A few months back I reached out and spoke with someone who has ties to the production company Reality Entertainment.  They have sent me numerous films, along with their partner/sister/ parent company Chemical Burns Entertainment.  Most of the films were documentaries about ghosts, aliens, and conspiracy theories.  Most were entertaining and enlightening while the others just failed to keep me watching and hook me in.  I'm not really a fan of aliens and ghosts but I do have a soft spot for cryptozoology.  So when I received this batch of films to review I was actually excited to throw them in.     
     This documentary begins with the Maryland based urban legend known as the Goatman.  The documentary provides a lot of insight in to the legend, as well as, sends an investigation team in to do some research on the beast. We then jump to a tale about a family of sasquatch that held a prospector against his will until he was able to escape.  The documentary also discusses a haunted swap that attracts spirits to it for an unknown reason.  We also get a tale about a murdered woman and her doppelganger that scared joggers and finally a mountain in which a vortex opens the doors for beasties to escape in to our world.
     This documentary had a lot of information on many things I have never heard of.  Like I said earlier, I am very interested in cryptozoology but I have never heard of the Goatman.  That segment really peeked my curiosity.  It had a lot of information on the beast but the investigation completely ruined this one for me.  They tie a goat up and leave it unattended and wonder off speaking to the camera.  They hear the goat crying and rush back to it and find it no longer there and a pool of blood.  They nonchalantly say they believe in the Goatman and leave the woods.   The rest of the stories were very informative as well but the re-enactments took away from the overall feel of the film.  I actually took a lot away from this documentary but a lot could be changed to make a better one.  Overall, this documentary had a lot of information but went about providing it all wrong.  I highly recommend it if you are a fan of the supernatural and cryptozoological.






No comments:

Post a Comment