Saturday, April 19, 2014

Kottentail


Director - Tony Urban (Klownz)
Starring - Patricia Bellemore (Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace), Nathan Faudree (Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned), and Kristin Abbott
Release Date - 2007
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "He's hopping mad!" and "A Tale of unspeakable horror, beautiful women, and stomach-churning gore"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Catacombs of Creepshows Boxset)

Rating (out of 5):
     With Easter one day away I decided to have a look at another killer rabbit flick but I promised myself I wouldn't give this one as much thought and analysis as I do my typical reviews.  Especially after being let down like I was after watching Bunnyman.  The film was good but had so much potential.  What really bothered me was the fact the killer wore an Easter bunny costume but the film had no ties to Easter.  This time I decided to take the wrap off my Catacombs of Creepshows box set that I scored several months back for only $4.  Not bad for a 50 movie set.  Anyone, I opened it up so I could finally watch the killer bunny flick Kottentail.  The film's artwork made it completely clear that this was no killer in an Easter bunny costume. 
     The film follows Hans Kottentail who is bitten by an experimental rabbit that was let lose from a testing facility. This mutates Hans into a rabbit/human hybrid that craves flesh.  In his wake is a sorority girl whose boyfriend he killed, a cop trying to make a name for herself, a prostitute, and a new reporter trying to cover the story.  As the bodies start to pile up this crack pot team of females set out to stop Hans from making lunch meat out of the entire town.



      Before I wrote my last review for the Bunnyman I stated that there is not many horror flicks centered around the Easter holiday.  Sadly, that still stands.  Neither Bunnyman nor Kottentail focus on the holiday what so ever.  They both just happen to have killer rabbits in one way or another.  The acting in this one is horrible.  I can not point out at least one cast member that did not half-ass their job.  I know they all have talent because they have been in other films.  They just lacked the motivation needed to make the film fun.  The story for this one is one told hundreds of times before but with a more whimsical twist.  A scientific experiment escapes from a testing lab and chaos ensues.  I actually enjoy that type of story I just wish that with the killer being a rabbit it would have focused more on Easter but it did not.  Finally, the film has a slew of on screen kills and special effects.  The kills are stock hack and slashes but the special effects are very simplistic.  However, once Kottentail has fully turned he looks fucking amazing.  Overall, Kottentail is a creature feature that lacks any real ambition.  If you want a holiday themed flick then I highly recommend you check out Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill!.




No comments:

Post a Comment