Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mediatrix





MEDIATRIX
Writer:Paula Duerksen, Cory J Udler
Director:Cory J Udler
Starring:Paula Duerksen, Shannon Lark, Kaylee Williams, Greg Johnson, Stu Hollow
Availability: DVD and VHS available at www.incestdeathsquad.com
Rating:



    I know it's been a few days since my last review.  I've had a bit of writer's block over the weekend.  I've started several reviews, but just couldn't figure out how to finish them.  There are times when I feel like the mammoth amount of films I watch on a regular basis starts affecting my ability to explain what I love about a film, and equally what I hate about a film.  So, I figure it's about time I just get my head together and write again.  If nothing else, it will be a cathartic release from all the drama and insanity that has been going on around me lately.

    Now, here we have a film about organized religion.  The weird thing to me is that religion is still considered a controversial subject to tackle in film.  This is sad to me, because there is a time when I have to wonder when are people going to realize it's just a story.  It's a piece of mythology that, unfortunately, people still latch on to after all these years despite how much our thinking has evolved since then.  Not only that, but it's strange to me how acceptable it is to still persecute atheists.  The sheer amount of insane misconceptions about atheism is staggering to me.  I understand that death is a frightening thing, and we all want to think we have something grand and beautiful to look forward to when we die.  Still, I don't think that excuses the hate and fear that seems to go hand in hand with religion.

    I've never discussed religion with Cory J. Udler, so I'm not sure where he stands on the subject, or even what he believes.  I think it's safe to say he has his own problems with it, though, especially considering all four of his films have had religion as one of the main focal points.  Apparently, the inspiration for Mediatrix was a road trip Cory took during the shooting of Incest Death Squad 2.  They were checking out the Ed Gein sights in Plainfield.  While there, they took a detour to the Mediatrix of Peace shrine in Necedah.  Cory remembered going there as a kid, and figured that place was just creepy enough to beg being exploited in a movie.

    Paula Duerksen (who also co-wrote the film) plays Mary Ann Van Hook, a drugged-out whore who grew up with an overbearingly spiritual mother.  Mary Ann is also a scam artist, and even fakes a pregnancy to extort money.  After leaving home, she moves in with a couple, Carrie and William.  She convinces them that she has a real connection with the Virgin Mary (played by the always beautiful Shannon Lark).  She eventually causes William to have a heart attack from mixing drugs, and this causes Carrie to lose her mind, because she feels William's death was a result of him being a non-believer.  Mary Ann even coaxes Carrie to have sex with a man under the false assumption that the man is the angel Michael.  Eventually, she starts convincing all the local townsfolk that she has a connection to the divine world, and there's also a subplot involving a priest who has made it his mission to expose Marry Ann for the fraud she really is.

    Now, one thing I must say about Cory's films is they seem to be much more intelligent than he gives them credit for.  He usually considers his films to be sleazy exploitation flicks, but there are so many deeper ideas going on inside them.  In fact, I'd say his films rely more on the strong writing and characters than the exploitative elements.  Mediatrix is no exception, and despite being a scrappy, occasionally messy film, is probably the best film I've seen from him.

    This is a movie that combines dark humor, religious satire, some bursts of shocking violence, and even a fair amount of sex in the mix.  The results are nothing short of compelling.  The camerawork is solid, and shows that Cory does have a strong visual style.  The acting across the board was unusually strong for such a low budget film.  The script was absolutely brilliant, and was able to balance all these ideas into something not only cohesive, but also quite captivating with its deceptive simplicity.  This is exploitation for the thinking man.  It's not a film that you can call perfect, but it is a film that has real ideas, a true vision.  Cory and Paula created something very original here, and now that I hear Cory wants to break away from no-budget cinema, I'm very interested in what he has up his sleeve next.

    Until next time, my fellow freaks and weirdos...

No comments:

Post a Comment