Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972)


(out of 5)


The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972)
directed by:  Charles B. Pierce
starring:  Vern Stierman, Travis Crabtree, Smokey Crabtree, William Stump, Louise Searcy, Mary Johnson, Fred Crabteee
Format:  Personal Collection NTSC:  Region 1
Tagline:  A True Story






     What is there to say here...The Legend of Boggy Creek is one of the oldest films in my film watching repertoire.  Oldest and most watched by far.  I throw this in when I'm tired to fall asleep to, I watch it usually around Halloween and when spring has sprung.  I will never grow tired or bored of this classic Pierce film which scared the bejesus out of me when I first watched it at a very young age.  Most especially the scene with the baby and the two young ladies left alone for the night played by Louise Searcy and Mary Johnson.  
     The Legend of Boggy Creek is played out like an old documentary about the creature of Fouke County Arkansas.  Kind of bigfoot style and I know everyone assumes and throws this in the bigfoot category but to be honest the creature has 3 toes.  According to the account of one of the interviewees in the movie who came across a track in the mud.  Now since bigfoot doesn't exist speculating on the body type is kind of silly but I don't recall seeing any bigfoot, sasquatch, yeti, or abominable snowman with 3 toes.  But that's just my own silly thought.  
     Anyway since the movie is done up like a documentary the players in the film mostly play themselves especially the Crabtree family who have many parts in the film.  Travis Crabtree in particular even has his own song, "Hey Travis Crabtree..." I can hear it playing in my head even as I write this.  All the actors in the movie were exact and natural and really it is a mockumentary and all but never once have I ever watched it thought, "Hey these guys are total actors."  They just all seem to do their own thing while Pierce was filming.  
     Is there a bunch of gore and violence, nope.  Swearing and sex, nope.  The movie is rated G and other than some scary, dark, foresty moments it really is for just about everyone.  I mean I'm one person who can't stand to see or hear about any human being actually trying to find a bigfoot but I'm all about a movie about it.  The best part for me was the sheer lack of the creature's physical details.  All you see are the same as the kinds of pictures people take of these "creatures",  fuzzy, out of focus, and dark.
    This movie can't get a higher rating from me.  It has history with me, it's very realistic, it influenced many films including the Blair Witch Project, and really has a lot of amazing swamp footage which for some is boring and meaningless but I love it, every damn minute and I will never forget the cry of the Fouke Monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment